• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Soap and a safety razor is a recipe for pain. You need proper lubrication and condition ion or the blade will dry you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a shaving soap. Has worked well for me the past 2 years. I also use an aftershave balm, though,

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

madeSICC88

Master
    I've had the same electric Norleco razor for the last 7 years probably, same 3 circular blades that came with it when new. Haha kind of crazy.

I rarely shave down all the way but it works just fine when I do. Pulls a little.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

RackinRay

Master
    I was headed that way till I tried the new Harry's, man what a shave, like a straight razor and inexpensive too.

Tried Harry's. Nice shave, but in no way does it compare to a DE wet shave. I am giving my Harry's to stepdad if I cannot convert him to wet shaving. LOL

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Really? I am surprised as I cannot get a closer shave than a Harry's without taking skin off.

RackinRay

Master
    Shaved this morning with a natural blend of oils labeled as Shave Oil that I picked up in the base exchange. Not a pre-shave oil, intended to replace shaving crème. Directions were "Wet face, drop 3-5 drops of oil into palm, massage into palms, rub onto area of face to be shaved. If razor starts to drag it said wet face again." It is this one:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shave-Secret-Shaving-Oil-0.63-fl-oz/10324376

It actually shaved pretty nice, and when razor started to drag warm water had it floating again. No need to even rinse directions say. Wife said it left my face as smooth as a baby's butt, naturally I had to ask her to kiss that baby! LOL

I could see this for travel or camping since it is pretty easy to use and small in size.

RackinRay

Master
    I really hate you guys :lol:. I already bought stuff to give this a try, you just cost me money again.

Good point, it can be costly to try different items since so little is available locally. I did recently find that Walgreens on Mobile and Saulfey have Gillette Platinum Plus blades, but not very cheap. To facilitate trying different blades I am willing to share from the collection I have assembled. The list I have available currently includes:
    Brand Country
    7AM Bangladesh
    Astra Russia
    Bic Chrome Greece
    Derby Turkey
    Dorco ST300 South Korea
    Dorco New (ST301) South Korea
    Sharp Durablade Bangladesh
    Feather Japan
    Gillette Silver Blue Russia
    Gillette Platinum + Russia
    Lord Egypt
    Personna (NEX) USA or Israel
    Shark Super Egypt
    Van Der Haugen Germany
    Ying JiLi China

If one you want to try is on the list, PM me and I will pass a sample blade on for trying.

I also have a three piece starter razor if someone wants to get their face wet at low cost. Again, PM for it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Good point, it can be costly to try different items since so little is available locally. I did recently find that Walgreens on Mobile and Saulfey have Gillette Platinum Plus blades, but not very cheap. To facilitate trying different blades I am willing to share from the collection I have assembled. The list I have available currently includes:
    Brand Country
    7AM Bangladesh
    Astra Russia
    Bic Chrome Greece
    Derby Turkey
    Dorco ST300 South Korea
    Dorco New (ST301) South Korea
    Sharp Durablade Bangladesh
    Feather Japan
    Gillette Silver Blue Russia
    Gillette Platinum + Russia
    Lord Egypt
    Personna (NEX) USA or Israel
    Shark Super Egypt
    Van Der Haugen Germany
    Ying JiLi China

If one you want to try is on the list, PM me and I will pass a sample blade on for trying.

I also have a three piece starter razor if someone wants to get their face wet at low cost. Again, PM for it.

That's a great idea! I'm fairly certain I have a few different kinds of blades as well, if I didn't already give them away. I'll try to remember to check next week sometime.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I found a bunch @ dollar general....walmart Ensley was out ,or does not carry them anymore...

wimps

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    About how many shaves do you get before changing blades?

Do you use preshave? What kind/brand?

I typically get 4-5 shaves per blade before they start to pull. I don't use any preshave, although I have in the past with good results. I think I got a sample pack from Maggard.

RackinRay

Master
    I did shave #4 with a Gillette Platinum Plus this morning. Seems to be starting to dull. I found myself bearing down on it like a multi-blade cartridge razor. Stopped doing that, but after shower had a red line on cheek I was bearing down on. No blood, just a bright red scratch. Must have gotten down to one cell level before bleeding! LOL

With the Astra blade I had a few more that that (6-7) before feeling it was starting to dull enough to affect the shave.

Italian Barber has a sale going on in case anyone is looking for any assortment packs to try. I have a Russian sampler with some of the cheaper on the net blades on their way along with a Feather Butterfly Razor with textured plastic handle. I want to try Feather blades in a Feather Razor since it was only 15 and change on sale.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter

full face shave, probably about 4-6 shaves, but I only shave the outer edges, I wear a beard, so one blade lasts a long time...I use either barbasol or hair conditioner to shave with.

I have heard regular cooking oil is the best, never tried it, as it will gunk the sink up
    the tighter you twirl, bend the blade, is the safest when razor is on the outer edges of use.

RackinRay

Master

I was gifted with a sample of Proasso pre-shave creme. Heavy on the natural oils and menthol it really serves as a wake up in the morning. Under Harry's Shaving Lotion, it provided a really smooth shave. Tried the Harry's with and without the Proasso, and there was a difference.

Now, I am shaving with Neutrogena Men Sensitive Skin Shave Cream and do not need the Proasso. It is a great shaving creme. The Proasso sample went home with my step-dad tonight for him to try with his shaving creme.

Stagman

Master
    I am over 2 weeks in on wet shaving and I will say I don't see myself ever going back to cartridge razors. I went to wal mart and bought this Van Der Hagen set http://www.walmart.com/ip/Van-Der-Hagen-Shave-Set-4-pc/34524596 and this Van Der Hagen razor http://www.walmart.com/ip/Van-Der-Hagen-Traditional-Heavy-Duty-Razor-6-pc/37482632 , both are quality products and I recommend this to anyone that wants to give wet shaving a try. I used the Van Der Hagen blades that came with the razor while I was waiting on my razor sample pack to come in the mail and they are not bad razors. When my sample pack arrived I first tried Feather Blades and the shave very smooth except fot a spot the size of a half dollar on my neck, it scalps the skin every time to where I'm bleeding in 5 to 6 different spots even when making sure I'm shaving with the grain. So on to my next razor in my sample pack which is Persona and it doesn't glide across my skin like the Feather blade but it doesn't scalp me either. All in all Persona is my favorite so far followed by Van Der Hagen and then Feather, but I'm not giving up on Feather Blades yet due to the fact I haven't ruled out user error being I'm new to wet shaving.

RackinRay

Master
    The Feather was a scalper for me too. Turns out both sons are into wet shaving, and they both like Feathers. Oldest said that once you master the shaving technique, then Feather is the best.

With that, I have found articles online that list the Astra blade as sharper than Feathers; all I know is they shave without scalping my face!

I did buy a Feathers razor to try their blades on in the future when I found it on sale at Italian Barber. Will advise then if there is a difference in using the Feather razor with their blades.

RackinRay

Master
    Friday I tried a Korean blade, a Dorco New (ST301). It was not good. Lots of drag and had to re-shave a lot of spots multiple times. Discarded that blade and this morning shaved with another Korean blade, a Dorco ST300. It shaved much better, no drag and only had to take a second pass on a few areas. No where near as good as an Astra, or even the Van Der Hagens. I am going to see if I can get three shaves out of it.

RackinRay

Master
    Tried the other Korean Dorco blade, an ST300. Like a Van Der Haugen, shaves OK, very forgiving. Used it for three shaves with no blood drawn, not even a scratch. Maybe a good beginner blade.

Stagman

Master
    Top Bottom