• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Finally shot a bunch of 300 blackout loads today. Starting at 110gr and going up to 220gr subsonics. Found some great test loads and loaded up a bunch of the 110gr varmageddon rounds once I got home. Fun day overall.

Doc

madeSICC88

Master
    I used 3 of the rustoleum camo colors: Army Green as a base on the whole rifle, then made my stencils and put on the rifle, then did a layer of Deep Green, removed the stencils, and then made larger stencils and did Dark Brown on the last coat. I let that dry for a while and then did a few light passes with some clear coat made for wheels on a car.

I want it to wear through a little over time so I went light on the clear coat.

I removed the flip up sights, rail guards and the BCG, I had cut off the flip caps on the Vortex a while ago so I had to tape over the lenses.

Last edited:

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    I used 3 of the rustoleum camo colors: Army Green as a base on the whole rifle, then made my stencils and put on the rifle, then did a layer of Deep Green, removed the stencils, and then made larger stencils and did Dark Brown on the last coat. I let that dry for a while and then did a few light passes with some clear coat made for wheels on a car.

I want it to wear through a little over time so I went light on the clear coat.

Nice man!

madeSICC88

Master
    Thanks a lot, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I usually fuck this sort of thing up pretty easily so I was neverous to try it but it was pretty easy once I started. Drinking beer slowed me down too as I usually rush stuff like this.

I can't see green, red or brown all that well and I actually meant to get 3 shades of green but the darkest was actually a brown after I read the can at home but I think the brown added a nice touch.

Clay

Master
    Thanks a lot, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I usually fuck this sort of thing up pretty easily so I was neverous to try it but it was pretty easy once I started. Drinking beer slowed me down too as I usually rush stuff like this.

I can't see green, red or brown all that well and I actually meant to get 3 shades of green but the darkest was actually a brown after I read the can at home but I think the brown added a nice touch.

That looks great! This week I bought a stencil from Primary Arms and figured I'd man-up and try it, yours totally motivated me! I'm gonna do to my Kel-Tec SU16B first, the my new PA10.

This video by Dimitri (I believe owner of Primary Arms) was VERY helpful to get the steps visualized for me and perhaps will help others. I like this color scheme but he does a bunch of different examples on his YouTube channel.

Looks like you could make your own videos now! Well done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EWM1UX7vksA

End product in video
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434314928.329703.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434314928.329703.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434314928.329703.jpg
      232.2 KB · Views: 277
    Last edited:

madeSICC88

Master
    Good luck man. Make sure and post some pics.

I had thought about ordering some stencil but ended up just talking a big square of parchment paper layed out and layered it with blue painters tape. Freehanded a ton of different random shapes and sizes and cut out with a exacto. That was the longest part of the whole process.

Snow Bird

Master
    Good day and a bad day,Went to 3 Brouthers to shoot and they were CLOSED so that was a drive for nothing. Then went to Academy in Foley and picked up a box of 220 grain Hornady...Critical Duty for the Xds. The Hydra Shocks I have been carrying are about 20 years old so I thought it was time for something new

They had Winchester 22. in a Limited Edition Wooden box so I picked them up.32.99 so not a bad price in the Wood Box. Probally won't open them just have them for something pretty. Might tell your wife if you want something for Fathers Day.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Three Brothers has never been open on Sunday. Sorry you wasted the trip.

Snow Bird

Master
    Thanks John, I didn't know that. Was a nice day for a drive anyway LOL

Snow Bird

Master
    I guess it can go here. Academy in Foley has some Federal Match 22 for get this 19.99 a box. I passed on them.

John B.

Master
    Sort of gun related... saw Jurassic World yesterday, the main character's weapon of choice was a Marlin 1895 SBL, 45-70... Been on the search for one. It's badass.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Sort of gun related... saw Jurassic World yesterday, the main character's weapon of choice was a Marlin 1895 SBL, 45-70... Been on the search for one. It's badass.

They're not cheap, and I've heard lots of bad things regarding quality control lately. That being said, I've been looking for a GBL for a while. As I've mentioned previously, it never stays at the top of my priority list long enough to actually buy one.

SBL's in stock here for $850: http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-19895-mar-70478-1895sbl-4570-ss-51-18-lam.aspx

John B.

Master
    They're not cheap, and I've heard lots of bad things regarding quality control lately. That being said, I've been looking for a GBL for a while. As I've mentioned previously, it never stays at the top of my priority list long enough to actually buy one.

SBL's in stock here for $850: http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-19895-mar-70478-1895sbl-4570-ss-51-18-lam.aspx
    I hear ya on that... after owning a few magazine fed lever action rifles (BLR) it's really hard to justify that kind of money on a tube fed lever gun...

if I can luck in to a used one for $650 or so I'll pull the trigger, I don't need it by any means, I've always wanted a 45-70 though, and why not get the one from a really awesome movie? Lol.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    if I can luck in to a used one for $650 or so I'll pull the trigger, I don't need it by any means, I've always wanted a 45-70 though, and why not get the one from a really awesome movie? Lol.

Luck would be right. All the used one's I've seen were extremely close, if not over online retail price. I can't figure it out.

John B.

Master
    Luck would be right. All the used one's I've seen were extremely close, if not over online retail price. I can't figure it out.
    Me either... who knows though... the last 2 .308 BLRs I have bought were both under $300... right place at the right time I guess, people needed the cash.

I have a million different things I'd like to get before the SBL, but it's on the list eventually. Lol.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter

The ones I have seen at gun shows were all over retail.

Clay

Master
    I lapped and reamed, then mounted my new PA10 optics. I went with the Vortex Hog Hunter 3-12x56mm with V-Brite reticle. For those who know the Leupold VX-R series, this reticle is a wonderful alternative at 1/2 the price and with glass that is pretty damn amazing. 56mm is as big as a beer can!

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...-hog-hunter-riflescope-w-v-brite-reticle.html

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668455.385484.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668463.728301.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668470.277170.jpg

Hunting in the lowest light won't deter the Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56mm AO Hog Hunter Riflescope w/ V-Brite Reticle from excelling. These Rifle Scopes from the experts at Vortex feature fully multi-coated optics with anti-reflective coatings, a 30mm tube and oversized 56mm objective lens. The Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56mm AO Hog Hunter Shockproof Rifle Scope has a hard anodized single-piece aircraft-grade aluminum tube that is nitrogen purged and O-ring sealed for waterproof/fogproof performance. From early evening to the first glimmer of dawn, the Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56mm AO Hog Hunter Fogproof Rifle Scope w/ V-Brite Reticle, let's hardcore hog hunters place shots in every cover with the utmost confidence.

Vortex CF2-31049: Crossfire II 3-12x56mm AO Hog Hunter Riflescope w/ V-Brite Reticle, Black
    Specifications for Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56mm AO Hog Hunter Shockproof Rifle Scope:
    Magnification:3-12x
    Objective Lens Diameter:56 mm
    Eye Relief:3.5 inches
    Field of View:36.7-9.2 feet/100 yards
    Tube Size:30 mm
    Turret Style:Capped
    Adjustment Graduation:1/4 MOA
    Travel per Rotation:15 MOA
    Max Elevation Adjustment:60 MOA
    Max Windage Adjustment:60 MOA
    Parallax Setting:10 yards to infinity
    Length:14.3 inches
    Weight:21.1 ounces
    Features of Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56mm AO Hog Hunter Waterproof Riflescope:
    Fully Multi-Coated - Increases light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces
    Second Focal Plane Reticle - Scale of reticle maintains the same ideally-sized appearance. Listed reticle subtensions used for estimating range, holdover and wind drift correction are accurate at the highest magnification
    Illuminated Center Dot - Provides a precise aiming point under low-light conditions
    Tube Size - 30 mm diameter
    Single-Piece Tube - Maximizes alignment for improved accuracy and optimum visual performance, as well as ensures strength and waterproofness
    Aircraft-Grade Aluminum - Constructed from a solid block of aircraft-grade aluminum for strength and rigidity
    Waterproof - O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating the riflescope for reliable performance in all environments
    Fogproof - Nitrogen gas purging prevents internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures
    Shockproof - Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact
    Hard Anodized Finish - Highly durable low-glare matte finish helps camouflage the shooter's position
    Capped Reset Turrets - Allow re-indexing of the turret to zero after sighting in the riflescope. Caps provide external protection for turret
    Adjustable Objective - Adjustment for riflescope's objective lens provides image focus and parallax removal
    Fast Focus Eyepiece - Allows quick and easy reticle focusing
    Package Contents:
    Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56mm AO Hog Hunter Fogproof Rifle Scope w/ V-Brite Reticle

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668455.385484.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668455.385484.jpg
      20.8 KB · Views: 149
    • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668463.728301.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668463.728301.jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 158
    • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668470.277170.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434668470.277170.jpg
      8.4 KB · Views: 149
    I received my new LaRue Tactical MBT (2-stage trigger) today and installed it in this build I did last year. It replaced the ALG ACT I had in it already.

The ALG ACT went into this one replacing a standard hammer/trigger/disconnector.

Now, both of these have nice fire control groups.

Top Bottom