• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Ruger SR1911 all day

This is my first 1911 and I have loved the gun! I purchased the commander sized model. Being my first and only one, I can't compare personally. But based on my research, the bang for your buck was in the Ruger as far as fit, finish, and features!

Attachments

• IMG_5319 small.jpg
      IMG_5319 small.jpg
      116.3 KB · Views: 183
    • IMG_5318 small.jpg
      IMG_5318 small.jpg
      131.1 KB · Views: 173

Telum Pisces

Master
    Just realize one thing before you get into the 1911 world. They are like old carburetor vehicles. They are reliable and run well. But they may need to be tuned and well maintained for them to run like a top.

If you get one that does not like to run reliable, you might have to try different ammo, and tinker, and or break it in etc... This is not a rule. But it is a possibility with these guns. Something I have learned. My SR1911-CMD did not like to feed my HST hollow points until I got over the 250 round mark with ball ammo!

ChrisC

Master
    anything Springfield is a good base for customization down the road. Rock Island is a good one if you want to get your feet wet and see if the 1911 platform is for you. if not, you'll get most of your money back.

this guy does wonders on SA base guns: http://www.canyoncreekcustom.com/

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    John I think you said it first, buy a Filipino and upgrade if/when you want.

The 4-5 PI Companies make 1911s for branding by well over a dozen different companies. Quaility varies greatly. Most people have no use for a gun that will not run right out of the box but accept it in a 1911 and overhaul begins. There is a major difference between fix/repair so it will run and upgrades to meet your preferences. Shoot you 1911 a lot while you consider upgrades. Upgrade what you need to but you don't need to chase sombody else's unicorn.

I like: Frame and slide forged steel. No cast, no alloy.
    Plastic is adequate for grips but its use for triggers or mainspring housing screams CHEAP. I don't care if it saves 6 grams.
    I find no advantage to full lenght guide rods other then weight.
    MIM sub parts are okay 99% of the time. If you pack it, whats 1% better worth to you?
    Unless your buying a true military clone it better have a lowered and flared ejection port. Unless your mil clone has a lanyard ring it ain't.
    8+1 Or 7+1? More is not a bad thing, quality mags are a very good thing.
    I don't like the design changes to make shorty 1911s work. It was designed for 5.
    If your new 1911 has issues, make the MFG fix it. Send it back again if still not right! Don't void your warranty by an unauthorized repair attempts or mods. IMHO

I hope you find one you like and it serves you well.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    And stay far away from the ones made in Turkey.

Ric-san

Master
    No one has brought up the Remmington R1. These go on sale with rebates every now and then....the 'enhanced' version is a good lookin' 1911....

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      26.1 KB · Views: 235

Ryan

Master
    whatever 1911 you end up with I'd look for quality mags. Not to hype train Wilson Combat but if you look on 1911forum most issues get resolved by using Wilson mags. ETMs allow for a better reload when you have a full magazine as the tube of the magazine is longer. 47D are still good magazines but I can feel a difference when I use my ETMs over the 47D I have.

MAXman

Master
    When I say upgrade, one needs to understand my one and only 1911 is a 1917 colt surplus. I wouldn't mind some night sights on it, some wrap around grips and finding a hollow point it likes. I don't know if the trigger has been jobbed or if it's just what happens when a pistol gets that old, but since I drink the da kool aid i wouldn't mind it being a tad heavier. I'm not excited about the manual safety(especially with the presence of a grip safety) but I can't recommend that to anyone.

As far as cast vs forged frames, I think Taurus is the *most affordable* forged frame around, but so long as the company doesn't have a rep for preening/cracking frames i wouldn't be to worried. Ruger made a name for themselves for being built like tanks with casting as much as possible. Personally, if recommend a different platform for 45acp. Just about everyone makes a 45 now, in all the sizes,any without the reliability roller coaster and often times with drop in trigger jobs available. Or, if you just have to have old school cool(and honestly, that's a good thing) maybe get a colt/sw 1917 or n frame in 45. On the flip side, picking up a 1911 for me, is the same as handling a a2 pattern ar: framiliar with a hint of nostalgia. Good luck with the search.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I took a chance years back and picked up a used Metro Arms American Classic II from a local guy off AR15.com

That pistol, for being inexpensive, shoots fantastic, eats anything I feed it, and the trigger is every bit as good as my pre CZ Dan Wesson Patriot Expert Target and my Springfield Loaded SS Target.

I think they are still available.

garryj

Expert
    I took a chance years back and picked up a used Metro Arms American Classic II from a local guy off AR15.com

That pistol, for being inexpensive, shoots fantastic, eats anything I feed it, and the trigger is every bit as good as my pre CZ Dan Wesson Patriot Expert Target and my Springfield Loaded SS Target.

I think they are still available.

They are available at Budsgunshop.com under Bersa(Metro Arms). I bought a Metro Arms American Classic Compact Commander new from Buds for just over $500.00 with FFL transfer. I have over 400 rounds through it with no feed or eject problems. I did replace the trigger because the one it comes with has very aggressive checkering and hurts after about 75 or so rounds. Buds American Classic prices range from ~$450.00 to $650.00.

Garry

Garpo

Master
    Now it is just my OP,But run FROM a Taurus. Mine was a real junker and I won't even sell it because I wouldn't do that to anyone I might ever see again.

I'm serious, I'll give you a couple of Benjamins for it and I promise you will never see me again. :nod:

Edit: Ooops, I'm a little late on this thread and I see someone else made you a similar offer.

Last edited:

ksenter

Master
    I am far from the 1911 guy around here, but I will weigh in on the subject anyway.

My first 1911 was a Kimber CustomII StainlessII. For years before I got my Kimber I had known that Kimber was "THE" 1911 to get, to have, to lust over. As soon as I got it, I started hearing the bs...."MIM parts, not what they once were, yadda yadda yadda." Now Kimber is not good? Man...screw that noise! This gun looks great, feels great, shoots great. No wobble, no crappy trigger, nothing. Its wonderful. So, my opinion, if you find one you like, AWESOME!!!! GET IT!!!!! From my understanding, there are some wonderful deals on them to be had.

My father actually gave me a great Christmas gift this year. He surprised me with a Remington R1 Carry. Its not quite their "enhanced" but seems to have all the features otherwise. It again is super-tight, the finish is beyond whats to be expected of an "entry level" gun, frontstrap and rear mainspring housing are checkered as well as the grip safety memory bump. Has genuine Novak sights with the front having a Tritium insert. 3 hole adjustable trigger, skeletonized hammer, cocobolo grips, again...yadda yadda yadda.

That being said, find something you like. Buy it. Shoot it. Enjoy it. This forum will have opinions this way and that way. Buy the best you can, or save a lil more for something just a lil better.

ChrisC

Master
    My first 1911 was a Kimber CustomII StainlessII. For years before I got my Kimber I had known that Kimber was "THE" 1911 to get, to have, to lust over. As soon as I got it, I started hearing the bs...."MIM parts, not what they once were, yadda yadda yadda." Now Kimber is not good? Man...screw that noise! This gun looks great, feels great, shoots great. No wobble, no crappy trigger, nothing. Its wonderful. So, my opinion, if you find one you like, AWESOME!!!! GET IT!!!!! From my understanding, there are some wonderful deals on them to be had.

My father actually gave me a great Christmas gift this year. He surprised me with a Remington R1 Carry. Its not quite their "enhanced" but seems to have all the features otherwise. It again is super-tight, the finish is beyond whats to be expected of an "entry level" gun, frontstrap and rear mainspring housing are checkered as well as the grip safety memory bump. Has genuine Novak sights with the front having a Tritium insert. 3 hole adjustable trigger, skeletonized hammer, cocobolo grips, again...yadda yadda yadda. .

Kimber series II is one heck of a bargain in the below $900 price range. I prefer it to any other brands in that price range. Let the 1911 snobs be snobs they are usually just preaching and quoting what they read in the interwebz. Some dont even have a clue on how the Schwartz or 80 series safety works but avoids it coz its what the internet said. And the great MIM debate. Fact is, MIM process is an expensive initial investment for manufacturers (Colt,Ruger etc.) but can produce more parts per hour and for cheaper cost than CNC barstock parts like most small custom 1911 brands (Wilson,Nighthawk,Brown,Baer). The cheaper price of MIM is misunderstood by many. Truth is, it doesnt matter if the slide stop is MIM or cast, if the barrel has the wrong size barrel link, it will go through SL like candy. I've seen Wilson supergrades snap a slide stop and Les Baer is notorious for putting a wrong size barrel link. Then theres the MIM internals internet scare. ZOMG must replace the INTERNALS!!! If you are not planning on a sub 2lb trigger pull, it is perfectly fine. It is a low stress part and Colt has been using it for over a century. I had a Kimber that can put my 2 Les Baers to shame at 100yd bowling pin shoot. Springfield in below $900 range have subpar fit like extractor head sticking out of slide and slide/frame fit is usually not flush at the rear. Great guns as well bet we are talking all around value and that includes aesthetics.

Top Bottom