Whats the average price of an sks at moment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    3 MOA rifles
    I personally know a fellow Marine who happens to be a gunsmith and who free floated and glass bedded an SKS and got 1 MOA repeatable accuracy. You treat that SKS rifle like any other semiauto rifle from that time period like an M1 Garand or M14 clone and it will perform similar

Raven

Master
    still need a Russian one, and I refuse to pay $1k
    Check greyman armory in milton. At the height of Russian SKS's being $1400 last year or two, they had one russian that was only $800. It had been sporterized, but I looked it all over and the only thing sporter about it was a hole drilled for a sling swivel

Miami_JBT

Expert
    I m being sincere when I say this. I see absolutely nothing appealing about the SKS. I guess taking in inflation, I would do like $300 max for one. Triggers suck, 3 MOA rifles, can’t mount scopes, no detachable mags, stocks are short bc commies are short, sights suck and cover up a man size target at 300 yards.

They were cool in 2003 when they $69 in a crate and mosins were $59. But once they went north of $200 I completely lost interest. No idea where people are coming up with prices or who’s crazy enough to buy them at those prices.
    The SKS is the same as other period rifles when it comes to accuracy. The SVT-40, M1 Garand, M-14, FN-49, Gewehr 41/43, FN FAL, and CETME/G3.

Back before the 2000s, sub-MOA cost a lot of coin of wring out of a rifle. And people dropped a lot of coin into platforms like the M1 Garand and M1A to make them match rifles. When today, a shooter can buy a sub-$500 bolt gun from Bass Pro, slap Chinese made glass and shoot 6.5 Creedmoor out of it and hit targets 8oo yards away, repeatedly.

The SKS is going for the prices it is going because of three things.

1. The machining that went into those guns were not cheap. The machining and manufacturing costs for a rifle built like that today would cost over $1,000 easily. That's why the Springfield M1A isn't a cheap gun.

2. Historical connection is another thing. The SKS was a major tool in the Cold War. It was used in conflicts all over the globe and was once the tool used to spread Communism. It was a gun that originally was foreign and rare due to it being only here in the US as a bringback from conflicts overseas. And it also was never intended by its creators to be in the hands of Americans. It was intended to be a tool for government oppression. And now, Americans can own the very tools that would have been used against them. Same as the K-98k.

3. ARs are boring. Shooters are tired of GLOCKs and ARs. An SKS is a blued steel and wooden stock rifle of a bygone era. There is romanticism attached to firearms of bygone eras. People like shooting them because they're fun, challenging, and engaging.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    They are good rifles for their time, and ammo used to be cheaper for 7.62 when they were blowing up ($2-3 for 20 rounds).
    I paid $300-350 for my mint Norinco and Yugo, but bought them in the last 10 years. I have an Albanian I paid more than I'll admit for haha. But I do 100% agree that paying $600+ for them seems a little nuts. I still need a Russian one, and I refuse to pay $1k for one.
    I remember when S&W 3rd Gens were less than $200 a pop. Norinco AKs were under $400. Colt Official Polices couldn't be given away. Lee-Enfields were in literal barrels in gun shops. GI 1911s were cheap throw-aways useful for project guns only. Etc, etc, etc...

Today's high prices are tomorrow's deals for the most part. The only thing that has dropped in price is the AR-15 and that's because of scale of production. When everyone is making 'em, that reduces the prices. But even then, original Colts while they took a hit back in the 2010s, they're regaining value as collectable now if they're in original condition, especially A1 and A2 models.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    What is RTI selling? The only good surplus stuff I see selling “kind of cheap” are enfields. I see like 50s unsporterized enfields for like $500. Anything Surplus is losing its appeal when they are selling north of $500-$600. Unless you’re into the history. If it’s a must have for the history then I kind of get it.

I really like AKs but the good AKs are like $2k now. Just go PSA or something for $800 and shoot the crap out of it. When it breaks send it in for warranty. lol
    The Milsurp market is pretty much dried up. The days of cheap, high quality imports is over since those supply-lines have dried up either through outright exhaustion or politics. The Mulsurp market is now mostly secondary sales, meaning stuff that was already imported is being sold by someone who originally purchased it a while ago.

Want a great example? Look at the HK P7. A batch of them were imported as police surplus from Germany back in the early 2010s. They were going for around $500-$600 a pop at the initial point of import. Yeah, those guns aren't going for those prices anymore.

The same happened with S&W 3rd Gens. For about a decade, they were dirt cheap because PDs were dumping them onto the surplus market. You could get a S&W 4506-1 for about $300. Today, that's a $800-$1000 gun. Heck, I recall when CHP dumped their 4006TSWs on the market and Summit Gunbroker was selling 'em for $350 a pop. Now they're over a grand.

My WVSP 4566TSW was sold surplus for $600. That's a $1,500 gun now.

Same happened with plenty of revolvers. Dirt cheap in the late 1990s and early 2000s because PDs were dumping them for automatics. Consumers were too. Prices have slowly climbed up due to an ever-increasing demand, but lower supply. There simply aren't any more revolvers being dumped on the surplus market.

boatbum101

Marksman
    I personally know a fellow Marine who happens to be a gunsmith and who free floated and glass bedded an SKS and got 1 MOA repeatable accuracy. You treat that SKS rifle like any other semiauto rifle from that time period like an M1 Garand or M14 clone and it will perform similar
    The bolt system was copied from the Simonov anti-tank rifle & lock-up is PFG for a gas gun . Considering w/ good ammo 1.5 moa in issue form is doable .

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Last one I bought was $160 lol was a bit ago

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I've got a yugo that needs a home when I get back. Would trade for norinco and $. Sks is the best infantry rifle. Nothing to lose and built like a tank. 10 shot fixed mag? Well you had better aim the damm thing.
    I dare say in 100 years they would still go bang. Of course in 100 years steel case ammo with be $100 a shot.

SLTW

Expert
    I've got a yugo that needs a home when I get back. Would trade for norinco and $. Sks is the best infantry rifle. Nothing to lose and built like a tank. 10 shot fixed mag? Well you had better aim the damm thing.
    I dare say in 100 years they would still go bang. Of course in 100 years steel case ammo with be $100 a shot.

I’ll give you $100 for it.

Top Bottom