What's your favorite defense round? (9mm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ABlaster

Marksman
    True, but if that's the case why do Police agencies use JHP such as the HSTs and gold dots. Logistics maybe?
    Expanding bullets make them more effective in the environment that LE tends to operate in. That, and the bonus of limiting penetration to hopefully just the suspect.

Most local agencies carry JHP’s of some flavor and for cost they use a ballistically equivalent FMJ for training and quals. The Feds are an exception in that they train with what they carry.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Expanding bullets make them more effective in the environment that LE tends to operate in. That, and the bonus of limiting penetration to hopefully just the suspect.

Most local agencies carry JHP’s of some flavor and for cost they use a ballistically equivalent FMJ for training and quals. The Feds are an exception in that they train with what they carry.
    Free ammo must be fun!!

5lima30ret

Master
    Most all local and state agencies purchase their ammo off the state bid which is usually a very good price. All of the handgun ammo on the state bid is pretty much always hollow point, bonded, and a from a major manufacturer. JMHO.

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    Since the title does not specify what type of defensive situation, I will give me choices.
    1. EDC - 9mm/.45ACP/.38+p ( depends on season and on how I am dressed for the day.)
    2. Bedside "bump in the night" - 12ga loaded with buckshot x2 followed by slugs to max out the mag.
    3. Defend my property from a known threat (aka SHTF) - 5.56mm or 7.62x39mm
    Escalation of force really dictates the defensive weapon or caliber of choice. I would rely on my pistol to get me away from the fight, but want my rifle to win it.

M60Gunner

Master
    In 9mm I like the 147 gr HST or V Crown. In .45 prefer the 230 gr V Crown. In my .357 snubbies I carry 158 gr +p+ from buffalo bore or Georgia arms.

Jevaughn

Master
    Truly depends on what you shoot best, but for me, I like 124gr Speer Gold Dots, but I reload and have a recipe that mimics them pretty well with a much cheaper practice round that has a very similar point of impact and recoil impulse.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Free ammo must be fun!!
    It wasn’t truly unlimited, but if the range masters knew you were a shooter and not just a hoarder they would load you down. The Border Patrol has always prided itself on marksmanship and if they got someone they knew was going to practice they enabled it.

The only down side was that ammo is hot. Every 5,000 rounds the gun (Beretta 96D) had to be inspected. I won’t put it in anything but a Glock these days because I don’t trust it’s actually within SAMMI spec. I still have about a case of it left and I have no idea if Federal even makes it anymore now the BP has gone to 9mm along with the Feebs.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Between your typos and my gutter brain, as I was scrolling by I thought you wrote “generate a dildo.”

I thought “That’s a hell of a round!”

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    First off I'm not a fan of sub compacts, I do usually have an American Derringer DA38 in 357 with critical defense in my pocket. I just recently bought some Winchester ranger 9mm+P+. I've never had to shoot anyone, so it's not like a lot of my defensive fodder has been used, I still have black talons. As far as my personal preference, 9mm aside, I love .40, I actually have some Winchester ranger coming today in .40!

Recondo 101

Expert
    My carry round is this, a 252 gran SWC 45 Auto Rim bullet with 4 grains of WST, a target load I use for pins. I do not carry a 9mm. This is the Para Ord modified LDA gun and the bullets. Is a 100% function 9 shot setup, sledge hammer.

IMG_0961.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

boatbum101

Marksman
    9mm I stick with a 124 +P JHP . Ranger-T # RA9124TP , HST # P9HST3 , GD # 53617 . An old school round that's effective is the FED 9BPLE 115gr +P+ ( steel frame on this one if it's a steady diet ) . Uses the old Hi-Shok JHP , same bullet that made the 357B load king of the street LE load years ago .

Top Bottom