What's your favorite defense round? (9mm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisC

Master
    Which ever feeds reliably and shoots POA=POI

ABlaster

Marksman
    My ammo/caliber of choice is the .40 caliber 155 grain Federal JHP’s made under contract for the Border Patrol.

Out of my 5” Beretta I was issued I was getting 1250fps and out of a Glock 22 I’m still getting 1160. For comparison, I get 1150 out of a 3” .357 Mag using 158 grain HydraShoks.

Most of the time though I’m carrying 9mm +P 124 grain Gold Dots in a 43x.

ABlaster

Marksman
    I just reread your OP amd saw there was a question.

Yes, even +P ammo will be slower in a shorter barrel. Most modern ammo takes short barrels into account and makes sure the time/pressure curve is steep enough to reach expansion threshold in shorter barrels. 9mm and .38 seem to be solid choices (some even say “short barrel“ on the box), but .380 seems to be lagging. Most commercial .380 HP’s I’ve seen tested do not expand reliably in mixed media (in plain gel they expand fine, but add in some simulated bones and clothes and problems occur).

IIRC Hornady .380 works well.

BluesBrother

Master
    Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot if you feel the need. However, as someone pointed out earlier FMJ in any caliber have sent a lot of bad and good guys to their maker. I think the military plans for worst case scenario when buying ammo. What do they buy? FMJ. Remember, you have to hit the target, though. FMJ, hollow point, whatever doesn't mean anything if you miss. A well placed FMJ will kill your opponent. There is no question or denying that.

LemonHead

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot if you feel the need. However, as someone pointed out earlier FMJ in any caliber have sent a lot of bad and good guys to their maker. I think the military plans for worst case scenario when buying ammo. What do they buy? FMJ. Remember, you have to hit the target, though. FMJ, hollow point, whatever doesn't mean anything if you miss. A well placed FMJ will kill your opponent. There is no question or denying that.
    True, but if that's the case why do Police agencies use JHP such as the HSTs and gold dots. Logistics maybe?

MAXman

Master
    Probably has more to do with treaties that, while the USA didn’t sign, still adhere too in an attempt to keep the poor SOBS who get taken prisoner( by actual standing armies) from being executed or mistreated.

There’s some notable exemptions, which I have personally seen with thine own eyes, but for the most part the us military honors The Hague.

BluesBrother

Master
    True, but if that's the case why do Police agencies use JHP such as the HSTs and gold dots. Logistics maybe?
    I wouldn't speculate. I'm not in the loop. However, I think the military buys and uses more ammo than the various agencies around the country, don't you?

LemonHead

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    I wouldn't speculate. I'm not in the loop. However, I think the military buys and uses more ammo than the various agencies around the country, don't you?
    Yea that’s why I said maybe logistics causes them to buy cheaper fmj. But another member had a fair point about how the land was convention says militaries have to use fmj. But obviously not all listen.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    In my 9mm Glock carry gun, Hornady 135gr Critical Duty, standard pressure. It's mostly barrier bling, expands well, nickle cased and used by lots of departments and alphabet boy type door kickers. I let them do the testing, shoot quite a bit myself and its good to go. When I carry a wheel gun in 38spl/357mag, its Underwood 158gr Kieth load. Hardcast flat nose bullets moving at about 1,250fps.

LemonHead

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    In my 9mm Glock carry gun, Hornady 135gr Critical Duty, standard pressure. It's mostly barrier bling, expands well, nickle cased and used by lots of departments and alphabet boy type door kickers. I let them do the testing, shoot quite a bit myself and its good to go. When I carry a wheel gun in 38spl/357mag, its Underwood 158gr Kieth load. Hardcast flat nose bullets moving at about 1,250fps.
    Now is your carry a full size? I’ve heard critical duty is meant for full size while critical defense is made for subcompacts. What’s your thoughts on that?

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Now is your carry a full size? I’ve heard critical duty is meant for full size while critical defense is made for subcompacts. What’s your thoughts on that?
    Its a glock 19. Thats compact to me. If I still had a G43 it would probably be Federal HST 124gr, standard pressure. Subcompact 9mm guns aren't for me anymore. A S&W stainless J frame with that Underwood 158gr Kieth load is my go to. Subcompact semiautos are more vulnerable to malfunction for me personally. Thats why the wheel gun is my solution for deep concealment.

Top Bottom