Why do folks toss out challenges on the internet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I'll throw shade anyone's way if I think it warranted, part of my military upbringing - thick skin is required at all times and the prodding never really stops.

But when it comes to shooting, I know I can get done what I need to get done, but I'm not a little group shooter. The minute you think you are as good as you think will be when you disappoint yourself.

If you haven't missed a 'sure thing', tried to fire with the safety on / empty chamber, or some other stuff thing, you probably haven't been shooting long enough or you are a liar. Thankfully painful lessons often provide the best learning.

Concerning 'best shots' that I've ever seen, it happened when I was about 12-14. My buddy John and I were on their families land (50-ish acres) killing time as you did 'back in the day' (ie before the internet and video games).

We had a motley collection of 2-3 BB and pellet guns and were putting a dent in the snake / pest population near a pond. There were dragonflies buzzing about and somehow or another John took aim at a Dragonfly that landed on a rock at least 25-30 feet away. He had the crappy BB gun and he pulled the trigger "pffft" the BB gun when and the Dragonfly kind of lurched over. We ran over and he cut off a set of wings on the insect. We looked for a bit in amazement of what had happened.

If I hadn't watch the whole event as it unfolded, I wouldn't believe it either, but I did see It. But John knew that it was 99.9% luck. We both tried to repeat it over the rest of the summer, but never even came close.

When I was about 10 I shot a blue jay out of the top of a large pine from about 75 yards... pure luck.

About 1987 I shot a black bird out of the sky with a scoped HK93, his wings, which were all that was left, just helicoptered to the ground. Another lucky shot that I couldn’t duplicate if my life depended on it.

It happens...

FLT

Master
    Sometimes it’s like the women’s hair salon around here.
    What do you mean, sometimes? Half the reason I log on is to see the latest drama. HollyWood should make a mini series about GCGF . Actually, I rather enjoy it , as long as it’s not my turn in the barrel. ;);)

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    There are folks on the forum that have meet and shoot with me. Most of them just don't partake in the chit chat, they are hear for the firearms Related trading. Wonder how many other GRPC Members or day shooters are within the members of the forum? Perhaps they would care to sound off? Tried to work out a grip & grin with Raven to purchase a few items, it just didn't work out. 5 1/2 hours each way takes a bit of logistical planning.
    This is all you have? I was halfway joking when i made that comment but scratching my head now. I’m sure another forum member will come along shortly and vouch for your existence. Was the flat rate shipping box a deal breaker?

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    What do you mean, sometimes? Half the reason I log on is to see the latest drama. HollyWood should make a mini series about GCGF . Actually, I rather enjoy it , as long as it’s not my turn in the barrel. ;);)
    Just throw it in the Water Cooler section please. ;)

.22 cents

Master
    1671482112043.jpeg

JP0311

Expert
    I don’t know. I don’t follow that stuff but this guy wasn’t one of those guys. He was a blowhard.
    How does that work? Can anybody actually see a bullseye at 1,000 yards with iron sights? I sure can’t.
    No they can’t. In Marine boot camp back in 2000, youd shoot irons at 500. Not hard to do, but I couldn’t imagine having the vision necessary to see double that distance.

RHINOWSO

Master
    When I was about 10 I shot a blue jay out of the top of a large pine from about 75 yards... pure luck.

About 1987 I shot a black bird out of the sky with a scoped HK93, his wings, which were all that was left, just helicoptered to the ground. Another lucky shot that I couldn’t duplicate if my life depended on it.

It happens...
    I don't doubt it. As long as a round has the ballistic capabilities to hit the target, it's only a matter of time / repetition before a hit is obtained via skill, luck or both. Granted many will run out of time, bullets, and or desire to make such shots when they don't happen.

A family story was told for many years (like yours), my Grandfather (whom I never met) and a Great Uncle were hunting and spied a large bird (told as a Hawk, but who knows). A bet was wagered in the form "I bet you can't hit that" followed by a single shot from a lever action 30-30. The distance wasn't quantified other than 'a long way off', to the point that is was a 2 ish second time of flight before the bird dropped like a stone to the ground.

It's the people who tell these types of stories without the understanding of the odds or humility that luck played a very large factor in the hit are the easiest bull$hitters to spot.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter

It happens...
    I still remember the big red squirrel that was hiding in the top of the pine. I was 10 or 11ish. I sat down and propped up one the fence post with my trusty Winchester 190, picked up a rock from the road on my way to my position and flung it to the other side of the tree into the bushes. Naturally he unsucked from his position in the top of that big old pine and looked over my side of the limb he was on. I sent my round and down he came to the ground. I went over and picked him up and all I could see was the racing strip across the top of his head centered between his ears. I put him in the rear pouch on my game vest and went on hunting. Well it wasn't long before he came to and started running around inside my game vest. It was a strong fight between the two of us, but I came out alive and I brought the squirrel home for Maw Maw to cook. To this day I am still not sure what the lucky part of that was, however it was with open sights.

I think my best scoped rifle shot was this one with hold offs with a .308. Looks CM to me.

ATT00010.jpg

I don’t know. I don’t follow that stuff but this guy wasn’t one of those guys. He was a blowhard.
    How does that work? Can anybody actually see a bullseye at 1,000 yards with iron sights? I sure can’t.
    I wasn't sure from your first post. I know that those shooters do exist, one of them is one of my good buddies. I believe he won Bronze in 2000 I think at Camp Perry. He shot a long time at Ft Benning before he was invited too I think.

I would welcome any opportunity to shoot and learn

M118LR

Master

It happens...
    When I was six I shot a songbird with my bb gun. Learned how it felt to take a life that wouldn't provide table fare. From that day forward I got a better perspective on harvesting game. Perhaps that is what makes me limit my game harvesting to a three hundred yard range. It's easier for me to justify taking a life it provides food for myself or others. JMHO. PS Palma shooters regularly shoot open iron sights to 1200 yards. But nowadays with my Old Eyes I limit iron sights to 50 Yards. YMMV.

M118LR

Master
    Live Stream It Via YOUTUBE!!!!
    Up until Thing 2 got me a non flip phone last year I couldn't even take pictures on my own. Thus the Old target photos aii required someone with a phone capable of taking pictures and they would need to email them to me for storage. So if I didn't have anyone to attest it, I wouldn't have any photos to post. I haven't achieve the phone savie to take motion pictures yet, so I'm probably not qualified to live stream anything. Perhaps when Lee and I hit the range after X-MAS he might have such skills, he's much younger and more phone savie than I.

Gingershooter

Master
    Up until Thing 2 got me a non flip phone last year I couldn't even take pictures on my own. Thus the Old target photos aii required someone with a phone capable of taking pictures and they would need to email them to me for storage. So if I didn't have anyone to attest it, I wouldn't have any photos to post. I haven't achieve the phone savie to take motion pictures yet, so I'm probably not qualified to live stream anything. Perhaps when Lee and I hit the range after X-MAS he might have such skills, he's much younger and more phone savie than I.
    I mean this with no ill will but this is how I picture you.

Attachments

• Bubbles.jpg
      Bubbles.jpg
      14.6 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Top Bottom