• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krazy1

Expert
    Just watched a Ch 3 report I recorded the other night. Maine has now detected PFAS chemicals in deer. This is the proverbial "canary in the coal mine". We'll either kill ourselves slowly with this and other similar idiocy or some one somewhere will jump off a nuclear war. You wanna go slow or fast?
    This is scary stuff right here. Imagine if the SHTF and you could not hunt or eat the local wildlife.

WRM

Master
    This is scary stuff right here. Imagine if the SHTF and you could not hunt or eat the local wildlife.

Yes sir, it is. I've had to deal with groundwater issues before (not PFAS specifically), but it's implications should make anyone take notice. Those chemicals are in some every day products too. We're starting to see lawyer ads for PI cases around military base related exposure now.

Krazy1

Expert
    Yes sir, it is. I've had to deal with groundwater issues before (not PFAS specifically), but it's implications should make anyone take notice. Those chemicals are in some every day products too. We're starting to see lawyer ads for PI cases around military base related exposure now.
    It was not even on my radar until you posted it. I started looking into it and the implications are down right terrifying.

Carl

Master
    Like I needed another thing to worry about. I guess this isn’t as simple as run it through the Berkey? Good grief.

Jdcujo

Master
    I got a serious question that I think about all the time. At what point will the earth's population growth be unsustainable? Nobody likes to talk about it but at some point we will outnumber our resources, that's just a fact. This is an excerpt out of some of the things I been reading;

Population size has quadrupled in the last 100 years. It took until the early 1800’s for world population to reach a billion people and until 1960 to reach 3 billion. We are now at 7 billion people. You can see how fast total population numbers are increasing. Basically, this means that because nearly one third of the world’s population is under 15 years of age and yet to reach child bearing age, when they do reach child bearing age, even if each woman has fewer children than in the past. This will still result in a significant increase in world population.

I guess this will be the point where survival of the fittest and primordial instincts take back over. Will there be a delegation that determines how many children are allowed like in China?

Looking at it from food/water needs vs population growth being exponential less than 20 years.

WRM

Master
    Like I needed another thing to worry about. I guess this isn’t as simple as run it through the Berkey? Good grief.

I know, right?

Not familiar with that filter but

"Can be effective" are the keywords to me. I've been using a higher end filter on drinking water for years. But, I'd not assume it will remove PFAS entirely.

WRM

Master
    Looking at it from food/water needs vs population growth being exponential less than 20 years.

I think it's long term unsustainable at current population. Unless the aliens deliver us some massive, pollution free, no/low cost energy source, it's all downhill now.

justapilgrim

Marksman
    I got a serious question that I think about all the time. At what point will the earth's population growth be unsustainable? Nobody likes to talk about it but at some point we will outnumber our resources, that's just a fact. This is an excerpt out of some of the things I been reading;

Population size has quadrupled in the last 100 years. It took until the early 1800’s for world population to reach a billion people and until 1960 to reach 3 billion. We are now at 7 billion people. You can see how fast total population numbers are increasing. Basically, this means that because nearly one third of the world’s population is under 15 years of age and yet to reach child bearing age, when they do reach child bearing age, even if each woman has fewer children than in the past. This will still result in a significant increase in world population.

I guess this will be the point where survival of the fittest and primordial instincts take back over. Will there be a delegation that determines how many children are allowed like in China?

In the past, things like disease, famine, plagues, etc... have played a part in population control.

Krazy1

Expert
    We are all in deep shit anyway with the amount of people crossing our southern border. Talking about a drain on resources. I've often wondered where will these people work, live, get medical. They don't even speak the language. I heard that the population of the USA will have risen 20% during the 4 years of this administration. That's another 70 million people to feed.

WRM

Master

Well, Ch 15 news just announced the Mobile water system has detected PFAS in the municipal water system. This should be an alarm bell. They're going to "wait and see" what the federal regs on it will be before they do anything.

Krazy1

Expert
    Well, Ch 15 news just announced the Mobile water system has detected PFAS in the municipal water system. This should be an alarm bell. They're going to "wait and see" what the federal regs on it will be before they do anything.
    Damn, being born and raised in Semmes, AL where Big Creek lake runs through, I've often thought how easy it would be for terrorists to do a biological attack since that is the drinking reservoir for the whole city. I have fished that lake up until I moved to Florida in 2000. I guess it's pure size would make it hard to contaminate?

WRM

Master
    I guess it's pure size would make it hard to contaminate?

I didn't realize they used surface water for their source. Yeah, super vulnerable. Depends on what chemical you used, but there are some that wouldn't take much to pretty well taint the whole shebang.
    The PFAS likely will continue to enter that lake through the watershed. Highly unlikely it's a "one and done" contamination.

PFAS apparently are in a lot of normal household products. Their persistence and subsequent accumulation makes them dangerous. I first heard about them in connection with firefighting foam (which is a reason so many bases are contaminated). Didn't hear about their general prevalence until later.

WRM

Master
    In other news, the DAILY vig on the National Debt has gone over 1 Billion. Let that sink in--our national credit card has an interest only payment EVERY DAY of 1 BiIlion Dollars. It's poised to soon exceed spending on National Defense.

In a thread I posted, I noted that the FED raising interest rates just 1% will add TRILLIONS to those interest payments over 10 years.

We're gonna be glad to have militias before it's over.

Top Bottom