• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    I draw the line at Stolen Valor. I served, my father served, my grandfather served........hell I have traced my family tree back to great, great, great grandfather/son serving in the Civil War. I don't take kindly to people embellishing their military record or even worse, flat out making it up. There is no lower scum on the Earth then these pieces of shit.

Stand on your merits, down make them up.

Fletch

Master
    Good Grief.......Honor and Valor Stealing?.......seriously guys? I've seen my fair share of ex-military wannabe types that spew BS about their military experience and that is not what I experienced with Ron. My family has an honorable history of military service as well but that doesn't give me the right to get all righteous on a message board with limited facts in hand.

Scum of the earth and piece of shit are strong words when speaking of a man's character. That's some awfully inflammatory language but he has wisely chosen to not engage in these internet pissing contest and go about his business of training people to become more proficient with their firearms. Least one could do is give him the courtesy of saying this sort of thing to him face to face since it's so inexcusable and a line has now been drawn.

I would say to the mods that this thread has now gone over the top and worthy of deletion and will be interested to see what happens with it. I will also add that I didn't see anything dangerous in his training and think he offers some very practical advise and liked his emphasis on one handed shooting. He hit all the important safety rules. I was able to sit back and watch him instruct my wife and step-daughter and thought he did a good job of teaching them some practical shooting skills that will serve them well in the time he had. He is a valid option for firearms training on the Gulf Coast and I have never heard him disparage other training options other than the gunshow course which everyone knows is a complete joke and cash cow.

Last edited:

flyandscuba

Master
    Fletch (violating my all I'm going to say statement above) -- the information was in the PFF thread. His claim of being an EOD diver on his website was called out by active duty Navy personnel who checked his records with the EOD/Dive school in Panama City and discovered that he, in fact, never completed EOD diver training -- but washed out after a couple of weeks. When confronted -- Ron said he was sick with mono and had to drop out. OK, fine -- you get well and you finish the next class -- right? He did not re-enter training -- so I doubt illness was the only issue - if it was an issue at all. His rate was that of a parachute rigger and nothing more. He finished out his enlistment sewing up flight garments at the Aerospace Medicine unit at NASP. Of course, he claimed in the PFF thread to have "designed" those experimental garments -- when in fact a staff of scientists, engineers, and physicians did the designing.

His claim to be an FDLE certified firearms instructor (also on his website at the time) was called out by an instructor (member on this forum) of the FDLE certification course! -- indicating that Ron was never certified as an FDLE instructor, but was only allowed to audit (sit in) on the class after protesting to the School Board that he wasn't allowed to sign up because he wasn't a law enforcement officer.

Ron himself engaged in discussions on the PFF that he had experimented with the effects of stress on shooting -- by having two pints of blood drawn from his body (no donation site in the country wopuld take more than one pint from anyone), and then injected himself with epinepherine pens to raise his heat rate. Several medically trained personnel - including myself - called that out as being total BS.

See the pattern here?

Ron is a victim of his own making. You like him -- fine. Nothing mentioned in this thread hasn't come from either Ron himself, his website, or facts substantiated through investigation. The facts are there and he has to live with the consequences. Those with a negative opinion of Ron and his training are simply communicating Buyer Beware to those considering spending their hard earned money. Yes, he is an option for training -- and there are other options available in Santa Rosa and Escambia Counties too.

He has been met "face to face" as you say -- both online and in person. His court records are open for view on the county website -- showing his failure to repay loans, judgements, etc related to his business history. He has been invited on several occassions to participate in shooting sessions by members of PFF and GCGF, but has failed to accept.

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    All I can say is that "I Will Not Be A Victim" of his bullshit.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I cannot believe the blindness of some of his students, he got to ya, that is OK we all get taken at one time or another, don't feel badly, I am sure it happens all the time all over the country with wannabe trainers.

Fletch

Master
    I don't necessarily like or dislike him. I've only met him once and thought he did an good job and provided a good service. Many others have been satisfied with their experience as well. He likes to talk and I don't doubt that he may have embellished on some things. Most every business does in some way or another. So he attended the FDLE course and got the knowledge and experience but not an official certification. It seems like a lot of nitpicking and not directly relative to the level of training one will receive from him. As far as court records and such I'm not overly concerned with digging into someone's business in that way. It's been tough times and many people have had financial difficulties. Heck the Lehman Brothers of the world can bankrupt with impunity and be bailed out with our tax dollars. Maybe there are things that have gone on in the "shooting community" that I'm not aware of that have caused people to nitpick him on these issues.

I played collegiate tennis and am "certified" to teach it professionally for money. I have been around some excellent instructors and not so good instructors. The limited time I got to spend with Ron I would say he is an above average and effective teacher. Some people have the ability to teach and some don't. I'm sure there are many highly skilled and credentialed shooters who can shoot the lights out, but are lousy teachers. I'm no firearms expert, but have learned and studied enough to make a reasonably educated judgment on if I thought he was a reckless man teaching bad things that are not beneficial or worse would get someone hurt. I did not see that at all and in fact saw a guy who is a good teacher, effective communicator, and makes things fun while keeping it safe without being so obsessive compulsive about it that it is about as much fun as having one's teeth pulled.

My wife and step-daughter required two different approaches and he realized that right of the bat and was able to communicate in ways that they both understood him.
    I have found when teaching physical skills many instructors have one set way of doing things and blame the student when they aren't getting it. An good teacher realizes he is the one who is failing when the student doesn't get it and it's his job to find a language that they understand. I think they got a lot more out of 3 hours with him than they could have out of a cookie cutter 8 hours class with a large group of students.

I'm speaking to his effectiveness as an instructor which I think is pretty good. I have yet to see another instructor offer to not charge if one is not satisfied with the level of service. If fact, I was just checking out a local website that said if they disapproved of one's behavior they would be kicked out and NOT have their money refunded Is this really such a problem that it needed to be explicitly pointed out on the website advertising for business? They charge extra if you want to use their guns. That's fine and their prerogative but quite a contrast to what Ron offers in my opinion.

I would say since the man guarantees a positive experience or the student doesn't pay, than what's to lose by giving him a chance to earn their business. If one doesn't think he helped them shoot better or taught them anything worthwhile then they can keep their money and come on here and tell everyone what a jackass he is.

Dragonfire21281

Training Expert
    Mods Please Lock this up

FUPAGUNT

Master
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpg blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah

Attachments

• beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
      beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
      21.8 KB · Views: 350

Fletch

Master
    View attachment 4875 blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah

No I saw it twitching......Somebody kick it again!

jakec

Master
    why does everybody want to end these threads? the crazy ones are the most entertaining. i say let em run for thousands of posts. they only get better never worse.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    I cannot believe the blindness of some of his students, he got to ya, that is OK we all get taken at one time or another, don't feel badly, I am sure it happens all the time all over the country with wannabe trainers.

Blindness? No. But you and scuba have been dribbling little bread crumbs out of the history you know while telling those of us who have gone to Ron that for all intents and puposes we were duped and are suckers.

Stolen Valor - anyone who does it is a total ..... feminine product bag ..... if he did it then nail him.
    FDLE - if he claimed he was certified by them but wasn't - do they not have some manner of recourse?

Its great that you guys have been around long enough to remember when Pensacola was first settled, but get off the tower gents.
    Enough of the secret squirrel Captain Midnight decoder ring, members only handshake references to the mysterious PFF already - post links to articles or sites if you would be so kind.

Let us all in on your background sources, I'll be more than happy to change my tune if need be but the repeated belittling of those who have gone to him is uncalled for.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    You have been sufficiently warned, do your own leg work I don't go to pff Good luck..I really mean that, nothing against you at all. most people don't like they have been duped and the messenger is always attacked. Sorry was trying to be helpful but I am outta here now..

Fletch

Master
    The GCGF Mafia has Spoken! Proceed with training at Blackwater Tatical at you own risk. If you are lucky enough to not shoot yourself with his reckless techniques then you will surely be gunned down in the streets if the moment of truth ever arrives.

P.S. Not only does he steal honor, he doesn't hold open doors for little old ladies and molest collies.

barebones1

Marksman
    Well I think I will take his class and see what is up. I am 51 and have been shooting for 45 years. I too have set up my own courses from watching videos and shows like 3 gun nation. And counted coup on hundreds of ground hogs at ranges up 600 yards. My wife and I burn 500rnds average a month. So basically I AM a shooter…….However, I will not be posting my impressions or results. I am NOT a certified judge or jury.

cheers

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I find non military types and those that do not respect properly make light of "Stolen Honor" Really a tragedy!

" P.S. Not only does he steal honor, he doesn't hold open doors for little old ladies and molest collies. "

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom