• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    When you pluck them is the skin left on?

We used to have a mechanical plucker and it would rip them to pieces if you did not pay attention. It was pretty fun - the feathers came flying off!
    i built a chicken plucker, pretty much from all the tutorials on youtube. it works incredibly well. but yes, if you tighten that belt too tight it will tear the skin. its a fine balancing act with my homemade one. cant speak to the storebought ones.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    i am transitioning to chicken tractors. i move them every day or two. i move them up and down my property. in their swathe is an obviously lusher and darker green line of grass. its pretty incredible to see.
    I have that now but it's a little more maintenance than I care for. Moving the tractors by hand and having to move the feed and water gets old. We'll see though, I may have messed up.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    I have that now but it's a little more maintenance than I care for. Moving the tractors by hand and having to move the feed and water gets old. We'll see though, I may have messed up.
    up till now i have only used my tractor for the meat chickens and am happy with it. but i am currently building a much larger tractor for my layers. i may end up not liking it but i think i have addressed most of the negatives i have seen so far. i would be interested in discussing it with you offline, we have probably experienced some of the same travails.

IronBeard

Master
    Gonna tell ya what I tell everyone about chickens. When the novelty wears off, they are dusty, dirty, cannibalistic, pigs with wings. They are sensitive to extreme temperatures, or temperature swings, and highly susceptible to a multitude of respiratory ailments. When one gets sick, they all get sick. A year from now, if you have 1-2 of your original birds, you've done well. If you have no birds, you've lived all I just typed. And then there are the predators. BTDT.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Gonna tell ya what I tell everyone about chickens. When the novelty wears off, they are dusty, dirty, cannibalistic, pigs with wings. They are sensitive to extreme temperatures, or temperature swings, and highly susceptible to a multitude of respiratory ailments. When one gets sick, they all get sick. A year from now, if you have 1-2 of your original birds, you've done well. If you have no birds, you've lived all I just typed. And then there are the predators. BTDT.
    Fair enough, thanks for the cold shower of reality

maxfold

Master
    I RAISED 27 HENS TWO ROOSTER FOR PROTECTION , CHAINLINK FENCE 14' X60 'PIG WIre ON BOTTOM . LOST A COUPLE TO TEEN NEIBORS HAVING PARTY LEFT FEATHER PILE AND PARTS
    THEY LEFT SOON AFTER! TREES HELPED KEEP PREY BIRDS OFF , HIGH ROOSTS ONE X ONES . TOP ROOSTS 4-6' UP . WEAVE PALMETTO LEAVES TOP SIDE UP,
    WIT 6-8" OF STEM FACING UP, BOTTOM TO TOP WANT AIR FLO
    LUCK .

FLT

Master
    The coyotes on my place ,might disagree with you.
    ;)

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Maybe WE start a FairTrade section here ?? hint hint..

I get eggs from my neighbor across the st.
    :cool:
    We get eggs from a neighbor too- for now. :)
    Wife gets Goat milk from some Amish/ Mennonite type folks

Top Bottom