• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baddog 0302

Master
    A rumor has it that "they" are now requiring some ability test to shoot on their 600 & 1000 Ranges ?? I wonder if this is just for new members or ALL long time members ?

Baddog 0302

Master
    You'll should in-gauge your brain housing group and read before letting your finger do any taping.
    I asked if any one knew of any qualification test at the Element range, not Bay County or Hubert
    PAY ATTENTION

Beached

Expert
    Most ranges require you know what your doing before shooting long range. The berm is not that high I started shooting long range at what is now Homestead training center in south Florida they have a 500 yd. Range they require proof you can keep your shots in the range. They have outlawed black powder cartridges I asked why it is the trajectory using sole rear sight if you are in inexperienced it is easy to over shoot the berm with 500 gr. Bullets traveling 1300 FPS. At 500 yds. a 45-70 bullet is thirty yds. In the air mid range. Some folks would not see their bullet strike and assume they were shooting low and move the sight up when actually they were dropping big chunks of lead 2 to 3 hundred yds. Past the berm. Please don’t ask me how I learned this information.

Baddog 0302

Master
    lighten up francis ....seemed like you never heard of qualifying for long range shooting before ,we were simply explaining its common place .....EXCUSE FUCKING US for trying a help
    Yes , I've heard of qualifying at distance , probably a lot more than you, In RVN the scout/sniper school the range was limited to 550 yds. and that gong was a 12" square.Students had to hit it 8 out of 10 shots to pass.
    And yes you were trying to help, help yourself feel important

Last edited:

Themumfordman

Master
    I was at Element a week ago. To shoot on the 600 you have to do a 300 yard qualifier, 7 hits in 9 attempts from 200-300 yards on steel. To use the 1000 yard range you have to do the same thing on the 600. Apparently they had some dumb shits lobbing rounds over the far berm and landing on the highway, this now we have to qualify. Its not a huge deal, and I do respect trying to filter out pure morons who have no idea what they’re doing from launching 308 into the road.

Baddog 0302

Master
    How long did you have to wait for someone to hold the "test " and how big was the target you had to hit ?
    Been thinking about it and with the $ 100.00 increase in yearly dues, now at $ 500.00 ,plus you have to have one of the little helpers go with you to put out paper targets at the 300 yd. range line , plus I'd guess the $ 100.00 won't buy much custmor service like painted steel targets every AM. I'll pass on renewing

Themumfordman

Master
    The targets range from large silhouettes to a 6” plate at 300. I didn’t run the qualifier yet, I was there zeroing in 3-4 rifles and doing some other drills. The folks in the office seemed pretty flexible about the process - there were a couple groups they ran through it while I was there.

It’s kind of a pain to be sure, but it’s a one time deal and then move on. For me at least it’s a good reminder to really practice and fine tune my shooting skills.

Themumfordman

Master
    Would be interesting to watch the 6" plate and see what weapons are being used

Oh for sure. I was on the right hand side of the range, so wasn’t close enough to see what rifles were in play, but just doing some test fires on those plates I nailed it 3 times with my 6mm arc. Had a heck of a time with my 6.5 creed for some reason that day.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    How long did you have to wait for someone to hold the "test " and how big was the target you had to hit ?
    Been thinking about it and with the $ 100.00 increase in yearly dues, now at $ 500.00 ,plus you have to have one of the little helpers go with you to put out paper targets at the 300 yd. range line , plus I'd guess the $ 100.00 won't buy much custmor service like painted steel targets every AM. I'll pass on renewing
    I haven’t been to Element but I have priced steel targets. $500 sounds cheap compared to setting up your own range.

Themumfordman

Master
    Oh for sure, if you had the space to start with. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a stupid lot of money to pay for a range membership, especially when smaller ranges like ERGC are like $150 per year for a whole family. Element has SO much there, and the ability to have dynamic private range bays where you can practice movement, quick draw and 180 degree target transitions is a whole other level beyond your standard range line. For me, that’s what makes it worth paying.

I usually try to get out at least once a month.

Baddog 0302

Master
    I haven’t been to Element but I have priced steel targets. $500 sounds cheap compared to setting up your own range.
    All depends on what you want to do and how far your land/range is from your house and what is behind your target's.
    The $500.00 is per year, a personal range is for your life span / or till you loose interest.

Themumfordman

Master
    Yup. I’ve never owned that size and layout of a piece of land, so I’ve always been at the mercy of using someone else’s range or land. I wouldn’t turn it down if I found the right spot for sure.

Top Bottom