• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Simple explanation, just because you can , doesn’t mean you should. It’s within his rights but it was a stupid thing to do. Thats my opinion and I doubt that anyone can change my mind

edit to clarify.

The above response was about the idiot in the park carrying the AR , just to get footage for his U tube
    channel.
    My apologies to anyone that I confused.

Last edited:

MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    That guy in the video is a jack ass. He’s pushing the limits for no reason other than to get views. Very childish.
    The right to carry a gun while fishing was not meant for fishing in a public park. It’s for fishing in rural areas. Abuse the privilege and it just might get taken away.
    If some guy is walking around a public park with an AR, I want him checked out. Too many crazies these days.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here.

If the law says you can open carry a firearm to and from fishing (and it does) than you should be able to. The comment that you want someone 'checked out because there are too many crazies' is the exact opposite of "Shall Not Be Infringed".

Welldoya

Master
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here.

If the law says you can open carry a firearm to and from fishing (and it does) than you should be able to. The comment that you want someone 'checked out because there are too many crazies' is the exact opposite of "Shall Not Be Infringed".
    I always like to hear other’s point of view but I still think the guy is an idiot. He lives for these confrontations. That’s how he gets views. If everyone ignored him, it would be a very boring video and he would have to get a job.
    He’s playing a dangerous game. Suppose one cop or an overzealous armed citizen misconstrued one of his moves?
    His yelling “I am not a threat” is just stupid. Like that means anything coming from a stranger. And he acts like he’s the only one that knows the law.
    The fact is, there is no reason for him to have an AR slung over his shoulder in that setting and he knows it.
    I’ve fished for over 60 years and the only setting I can think of that might be appropriate to have an AR is when I was river fishing in Alaska. Most places I carry a .22 pistol if anything at all.
    I doubt it is legal to discharge a firearm in that area. Maybe that caveat should be included in the law.
    This guy is doing nothing to further gun rights but could actually hurt them.

Timbo229

Marksman
    He’s lucky he “only” lost his job.
    I’m pretty sure that’s just the start, though.

The Airman’s family lawyer will get a civil suit settlement, too. And in this case, I agree they should.

That kid didn’t do anything illegal, but he got killed because a LEO panicked.

In my opinion, the people who open their door to strangers WITHOUT a gun in hand are the real dummies.
    Well he knew exactly who was knocking on the door. The video shown is not complete, he banged on the door and was announcing himself by yelling. Who knows, maybe the guy answered the door in hopes of getting shot, suicide by cop. He was engaged in a loud disturbance which sounded as though two people were inside. Not just to the cop, but also to the person who called.

ABlaster

Marksman
    I make a distinction between someone exercising their rights and someone looking for a confrontation.

Then there’s the political part. The left likes to paint gun owners, and AR owners in particular, as reckless and irresponsible. Stunts like this make it seem like they are right. We can wave our Gadsden flags and yell “shall not be infringed“ until we are blue in the face and it won’t change the reality that we need to be courting the undecided people every chance we get.

Welldoya

Master
    I make a distinction between someone exercising their rights and someone looking for a confrontation.

Then there’s the political part. The left likes to paint gun owners, and AR owners in particular, as reckless and irresponsible. Stunts like this make it seem like they are right. We can wave our Gadsden flags and yell “shall not be infringed“ until we are blue in the face and it won’t change the reality that we need to be courting the undecided people every chance we get.
    EXACTLY! Well said.

DustyDog

Master
    Why you should always give someone with a pistol in their hand the benefit of the doubt (NOT!)

I've asked this elsewhere, but have yet to get a response:

Let's do a little test... pick your response:

When there is a cop knocking at my door, I open the door with a pistol in my hand because:

1. I plan to use the pistol as a pointer to direct the cop to the correct unit.

2. I plan to get into a pissing contest with the cop as to who has the coolest gun.

3. I want to let him know that I know my rights.

4. I want to let him know that I'm pro-2A.

5. The pistol is always in my hand, 24/7.

6. It might actually be a gang of bad guys with ARs, and I want to show them who's boss.

7. I am ready and willing to shoot the cop or anyone else who might be there, especially if they knocked on the wrong door.

8. I'm planning a suicide by cop for my family's financial security.

9. I'm the proud owner of a Glock.

10. I'm just THAT STUPID.

11. Other.

Last edited:

MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Why you should always give someone with a pistol in their hand the benefit of the doubt (NOT!)

I've asked this elsewhere, but have yet to get a response:

Let's do a little test... pick your response:

When there is a cop knocking at my door, I open the door with a pistol in my hand because:

2. I plan to get into a pissing contest with the cop as to who has the coolest gun.

6. It might actually be a gang of bad guys with ARs, and I want to show them who's boss.

7. I am ready and willing to shoot the cop or anyone else who might be there, especially if they knocked on the wrong door.

11. Other.

This is a completely different scenario. This event was called in as a shooting incident. The Police already knew someone was shot! Why on earth would that Officer just walk right up on that guy??

Incident began as a shooting call
    Officials say the incident began after a woman had reportedly been shot in a home just after 2 a.m. on Feb. 11.

The Airmen incident was not a shooting call....

As for the Armed Fisherman, I totally agree that he's being confrontational under the guise of 'educating the public'. He is however following the law.

I'm interested and committed to following the Laws established by the Constitution. While I do understand the politics of trying to appeal to various individuals to adopt the idea that law abiding citizens have a right to obtain and carry firearms, it's when we mix politics with the Constitution we end up losing degrees of our Rights....

DustyDog

Master
    That kid didn’t do anything illegal, but he got killed because a LEO panicked.
    And the deputy knew that beforehand HOW?!?

You CANNOT use facts that came to light after the shooting to decide if it was justified. For all the deputy knew, the female could have been dead or dying inside the unit, just like in the example below. What was Fortson thinking? We'll never know. What did the deputy know? It was a potential DV call, and a male opened the door with a pistol in his hand... just like this guy, who had just killed his girlfriend, then called the cops for help!

Decent take on it:

Was it an awful situation? YES, but the only way to 100% avoid these in the future would be for cops to stop responding to DV calls.

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    This is a completely different scenario. This event was called in as a shooting incident. The Police already knew someone was shot! Why on earth would that Officer just walk right up on that guy??

The Airmen incident was not a shooting call....

As for the Armed Fisherman, I totally agree that he's being confrontational under the guise of 'educating the public'. He is however following the law.

I'm interested and committed to following the Laws established by the Constitution. While I do understand the politics of trying to appeal to various individuals to adopt the idea that law abiding citizens have a right to obtain and carry firearms, it's when we mix politics with the Constitution we end up losing degrees of our Rights....
    People call in false shooting, DV, you-name-it incidents all the time in order ambush the cops. They did not know there was a shooting before the cop got shot. Just think: Using your logic, the deputy in the Fortson incident "already knew" a woman was being beaten in his apartment... because that's what the caller said, right? People LIE, all the time.

As I said elsewhere: What did the deputy (in the Fortson incident) know? It was a potential DV call, and a male opened the door with a pistol in his hand.

Andrew87

Shooter
    There's a lot of LE defenders here, makes me think they are LE. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and free speech, just like every other right and law.

The deputy moved away from the door which is alarming to anyone who may check to see what type of asshole is banging on the door. I'd answer with a gun in my hand as well. The only protected class is the one with qualified immunity.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    More often than not initially dispatched information is wrong, sometimes not even close.

Over the years I’ve noticed an increase in the exaggerated information people provide to dispatch as well as the inaccuracy of that information.

If you haven’t worked in public safety then wouldn’t know this.

I’m torn on the various rights activists and some of their baiting tactics but I’m also glad LEO’s who are ignorant, cocky, and just bullies with badges are getting called out as those are the ones that make a hard job harder.

There’s bad decisions made by both parties in this incident and if you can’t see that then you’re part of the problem that prevents working towards a solution to reduce these incidents.

DustyDog

Master
    There's a lot of LE defenders here, makes me think they are LE. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and free speech, just like every other right and law.

The deputy moved away from the door which is alarming to anyone who may check to see what type of asshole is banging on the door. I'd answer with a gun in my hand as well. The only protected class is the one with qualified immunity.
    Probably didn't want to be just another cop who got shot THROUGH the door.

I'm not an "LE defender", but I can tell you this: My door is my first line of defense. Why would I want to defeat it??? ESPECIALLY if I'm "alarmed"? And who goes to the door with a firearm in their hand if they're not ready and willing to use it? Like these guys:

AND

So are you opening the door with a gun in your hand because you're ready and willing to shoot? Or just trying to look tough? Ever heard "never draw your weapon until you're ready to use it"? They are not intended for use as intimidation tools. Here are some other choices, or you can name your own reason:

6. It might actually be a gang of bad guys with ARs, and I want to scare them.

11. Other.

Last edited:

Diver43

Shooter
    If you watch the video, **I** don’t recall hear the deputy actually announcing he’s law enforcement until he starts another round of locking after he first knocked.
    Watch again, officer knocked then knocked again announcing himself twice. However it was a bad shoot. The Airman made no threatening move. Something seems very fishy though why the call to police then directed to that apartment? Was he swatted?

DustyDog

Master
    Watch again, officer knocked then knocked again announcing himself twice. However it was a bad shoot. The Airman made no threatening move. Something seems very fishy though why the call to police then directed to that apartment? Was he swatted?
    This guy made no threatening move, either... until he shot the cop multiple times. Wasn't there a movie called "The Quick and the Dead"? :)

Welldoya

Master
    Swatting is usually done anonymously. This call was from the manager.
    He was on the phone with his girlfriend so I’m guessing they might have been fighting and that’s what the manager heard but that’s pure speculation.
    I mentioned the armed fisherman video to my grown daughter and she said “that just makes people think that gun owners are idiots.” Yep.

DustyDog

Master
    Swatting is usually done anonymously. This call was from the manager.
    He was on the phone with his girlfriend so I’m guessing they might have been fighting and that’s what the manager heard but that’s pure speculation.
    I mentioned the armed fisherman video to my grown daughter and she said “that just makes people think that gun owners are idiots.” Yep.
    re: The original call: My impression was that another tenant called the manager, who called the police, though the manager claimed to have heard disturbances there previously. That's what it sounds like in the bodycam included in the Officer Tatum video.

BluesBrother

Master

I have come to the door with a gun. However, never, never on display. Alway behind the door frame so only I knew it was there. Must use a little common sense when going to an extreme.

FNHman

Marksman
    Any way you look at it, that was stupid. You don’t have a gun in your hand around a cop. They don’t know your intentions.
    Wow??? What's the logic in that. Guns are everywhere!!!! More guns around than purses and wallets. Game wardens walk up on guns all the time and you dont hear about them blasting away at everyone.

Cops even shoot little kids with bb and water guns. Cops can't be trusted because they hide behind "playing dumb" and "I was in fear of my life" just like the falling acorn bs the other month. Cops are showing us they are nothing more than licensed killers acting as Judges on the street handing out punishment as they see fit.

I'm to the point where I'd vote to remove guns from the police force and only allow them to have one shot tazers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom