• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hossfly72

Marksman
    Can you keep a secret Frank? Shhhh! Don't tell anybody from back home, but I like the BBQ beef too!
    I just like razzing Texans, mostly my young'un... Talk about a good fight! LOL
    If I had to live in any other country besides America, I'd choose Texas!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Well, we found them last night, but my cousin had a brain fart and we ended up with no pork. Here's how it went.

On Friday, I went out and baited up two areas that are known real well for hogs. The plan was to come back on Sat night for some midnight ops. We get out to the club around 12:30am and slowly sneak into the first area to try and put a stalk on any hogs we can hear in the distance. We come up to huge wallered out sections and the bait is gone. We back out for a little bit and listen. I tell my cousin that I hear them on the other section about 500 yards away. We slowly stalk into the area and sure enough I can hear them rooting around and flipping some goody soaked logs we left out for them. We stalk up to about 40 yards from them and I hit the light and we have 6-7 good hogs just in front of us.

They step into the brush and we hunker down waiting for them to come back. About 5 minutes later we hear them about 20 yards to the side of us in the brush. My cousin about flipped out and was worried they were fixing to come right on top of us. It was a rush for sure. But they ended up moving back to the baited area and I tell him to get ready. I get the light on them and he goes to pull the trigger and does not realize that he still has it on safety. By the time he figured out what was going on, the hogs had moved on. :frusty:

After a little lesson in using the gun (he was borrowing my rifle and was unfamiliar with it even though we went over it before heading out), we try to stalk some more in another area unsuccessfully and wait out over some bait till morning with no more hogs.

Overall, a good hunt even without bringing home the bacon

Floorguy

Marksman
    Thats hunting took me a number of times to finally get a hog you name it and it happened keep trying you will come out a head in the long run. Nice looking hogs keep us posted.

SAWMAN

Master
    Don't know your exact setup out there but FWIW I would think that you would do better getting out there just before sunset. Get all setup,get still,get quiet,get ready....and wait. Hunt 'til about 2300 or longer if you have a comfortable place to sit. Use the wind to your advantage. Walk the perimiter of the plot and see if you can tell where the hogs are coming from. Unless you have a wide open area(field)that you plan to stalk up on them in,that is extremely quiet walking,you will have a difficult time closing the distance on feeding hogs. Especially at night during the times of what seems to be little or no wind.

Depending on the distance that you could have to shoot....use a green light,turn it on pointed upwards and slowly bring it down on the hogs. ---SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well, we found them last night, but my cousin had a brain fart and we ended up with no pork. Here's how it went.

On Friday, I went out and baited up two areas that are known real well for hogs. The plan was to come back on Sat night for some midnight ops. We get out to the club around 12:30am and slowly sneak into the first area to try and put a stalk on any hogs we can hear in the distance. We come up to huge wallered out sections and the bait is gone. We back out for a little bit and listen. I tell my cousin that I hear them on the other section about 500 yards away. We slowly stalk into the area and sure enough I can hear them rooting around and flipping some goody soaked logs we left out for them. We stalk up to about 40 yards from them and I hit the light and we have 6-7 good hogs just in front of us.

They step into the brush and we hunker down waiting for them to come back. About 5 minutes later we hear them about 20 yards to the side of us in the brush. My cousin about flipped out and was worried they were fixing to come right on top of us. It was a rush for sure. But they ended up moving back to the baited area and I tell him to get ready. I get the light on them and he goes to pull the trigger and does not realize that he still has it on safety. By the time he figured out what was going on, the hogs had moved on. :frusty:

After a little lesson in using the gun (he was borrowing my rifle and was unfamiliar with it even though we went over it before heading out), we try to stalk some more in another area unsuccessfully and wait out over some bait till morning with no more hogs.

Overall, a good hunt even without bringing home the bacon

yeah with mistakes like that you will have a hard time, he will do better next time. It was still fun, right!!

Telum Pisces

Master
    yeah with mistakes like that you will have a hard time, he will do better next time. It was still fun, right!!

It was a blast!!! It was the first hog my cousin had ever seen and his adrenaline was pumping like crazy. He's hooked for life now. He's already looking on the calendar for when he comes in town again. Haha I enjoy putting people on the animals probably more than shooting them myself sometimes.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Don't know your exact setup out there but FWIW I would think that you would do better getting out there just before sunset. Get all setup,get still,get quiet,get ready....and wait. Hunt 'til about 2300 or longer if you have a comfortable place to sit. Use the wind to your advantage. Walk the perimiter of the plot and see if you can tell where the hogs are coming from. Unless you have a wide open area(field)that you plan to stalk up on them in,that is extremely quiet walking,you will have a difficult time closing the distance on feeding hogs. Especially at night during the times of what seems to be little or no wind.

Depending on the distance that you could have to shoot....use a green light,turn it on pointed upwards and slowly bring it down on the hogs. ---SAWMAN

We snuck right up on them within 40 yards and they didn't have a clue. Our timing was dictated by other family plans. In the future I do plan to get out before dark and wait for them. But stalking up on them on the ground was a rush like no other.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    TP, I did that last time I was out just for fun. Had 12 piglets leave the feeder I was at, they were there 45 minutes. I followed them to the next 2 feeders actually hoping larger hogs would join them. I was probably 50 yards away each time watching and learning from their behavior. They never spotted me or spooked, it was alot of fun. Testing the limits, making noises, even lit a cig just to see. Finally after having all the fun I could tolerate, I quietly back out and let them finish my bait...a really cool experience. Now I can wait till they are 40-50 lbs and play again bringing one home for dinner.

bobinbusan

Master
    Can you post a picture of this set up?:yo:

:eyebrows:
    I had mine made from stainless steel scrap he had laying around by SeaLark on http://www.gulfcoastfishingconnection.com mailed them to me.

Or like Sawman you can take a long eye bolt bend it w heat and sharpen the point. I stick a knife through the soft lower jaw flesh through to the tongue and hookem' up!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Me too. Are you on the north end or the south end?

I have found two other members on here as well. Seems like there's a few of us on here that are in the club. Just joined the club a few weeks ago. Sent ya a PM as well.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer

HideBuster

Expert
    I'm in Viney bottom on the south end. Was north end last year. Real familiar with the area if you guys want to go out and ride it one afternoon

Just Dave

Marksman
    They're bedding down next to my feeder.....except when I'm there. (the date/time is jacked up on the camera, but this was taken during that last good rain we had)
    PICT0101 (800x449).jpg

Attachments

• PICT0101 (800x449).jpg
      PICT0101 (800x449).jpg
      133.9 KB · Views: 169
    Top Bottom