• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I've been out in -7 degree weather in North Dakota. It's so cold that every little piece of exposed skin just HURTS. Luckily, I only had to be outside for about 10 minutes while it was that cold.

i can work all day in colder weather, forty to fifty five is great....anything over that, i call hot..

minus thirty actual, plus wind of twenty mph is the worst i have been in..too much.. but still better than sweating your nuts off ....

Seanpcola

Well besides the oppressive heat, humidity and heat index we're experiencing... you dismantling/breaking down, packing-up, selling, shipping or tossing out(?), dealing with customer's inquires as to what's up, why, and what's next (and you possibly wondering the same)... I can understand why your particular job at this particular time could be quite.... shall we say, challenging, at this stage of the game.

Electrolytes by day and alcohol by night might just prove a winning strategy.
    2cgkkug.jpg

News travels fast in aviation circles. Haven't had to deal with any customers. What's next for me is actually going to different but good. I'm gonna be fine and actually end up with more free time and money so it's all positive from here out.

Only one Corona tonight seemed to do the trick.

Seanpcola

My stepson got sent to N. Dakota in the middle of winter one year. I was talking to him while he was driving and hadn't opened a window as he drove North for hours. He tells me he's finally getting off the road to fuel up and I ask what he's wearing. Typical Florida winter clothes. I can hear on my phone him shutting the engine off at the pump, the door crack open, door dinger dinging, then "HOLY F%#@*ING SHIT!!!!!!!!! THIS IS..........THIS IS...........THIS IS.........STUPID COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE F^%#!!!!!!!". Then after the crying subsided the realization that he was going to be working in it for 3 weeks dawned on him.

It got less pretty from there.

MarkS

Master
    Time to go soak in the pool with all this talk about heat and work. What little I got done outside was between 5:30am and 8:00am

aknavy

Expert
    I grew up in interior Alaska, where the normal winter temp is anywhere from -20f to -40f, with periods up to -80f....you get used to it, much like you do the heat. Just have to cover all exposed skin much below -40. Needless to say, at this point in my life I doubt I'll ever live in the cold again.

Snow Bird

Master
    Igrew up and lived in MO most of my life and was stationed in SD and NEVER got used to anything at -20 or lower. I will take 100 degree and work in it any time over -20.

The poor AP in SD had to watch over Nuke Loaded Aircraft in that cold. Sometimes -95 below on the flight line chill factor at night. That was standing outside and no guard shack to get into. I thought they would work in maybe 4hour shifts but talked to an AP and he said it was 8 hr shifts. (AP is Air Police)

MAXman

Master
    Caveman:
    Hyperthermia, or heat injuries, are not uncommon, however, there are very, very few places on earth where the human body will actually melt or combust into flames.
    Hypothermia is as common as hyperthermia, with the added pleasure of frostbite. Unpleasant is one thing, living tissue freezing is quite another.

If we lose power in the dead of summer.... Break out a fan, open windows, drink water, stay in the shade.
    Lose power in -30 and 20mph wind? Your burning books and floorboards to stay warm enough, long enough for someone to find you.

We lugged around 800lb aluminum Lego pieces when the thermometer said 120, in near 100lbs of shit and minimum of shade. We were swetting through leather. The guys at chosin had thier feet and hands freeze off while the slept. Ill take heat, any and every day. I'm physically and emotionally attached to my appendages, thank you.

Ryan

Master
    The AC at my place stopped working yesterday. Finally got them out to my place at 530pm but had to go to work..not holding my breath on it working. tomorrow is prime day if you have amazon prime. only thing that looked semi interesting was a 40 inch led for $150. I'm going to pick one up so I can put it in my garage.

MarkS

Master
    I use to do site work, 4 tens and a 8 and the first thing we did was bulldoze all the shade on the job site. Back then the heat was never as bad as the cold but the older I get the more I like our winters here in the Panhandle

shootnstarz

Master
    GM part# 10149203, a small piece of stamped flat metal with a small curve about 12" long with several small holes drilled, $100 from Sandy Sansing !!!! Fortunately I found some used ones on feebay for half that, still outrageous for a stamped bracket.

Never could understand why dealer parts are so expensive for what you get, because they can I guess.

RH

Stagman

Master
    GM part# 10149203, a small piece of stamped flat metal with a small curve about 12" long with several small holes drilled, $100 from Sandy Sansing !!!! Fortunately I found some used ones on feebay for half that, still outrageous for a stamped bracket.

Never could understand why dealer parts are so expensive for what you get, because they can I guess.

RH

Because you will have fitment issues with cheaper aftermarket parts, it will be close but close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. It's worth it to me to buy the factory part to save the stress of making it fit. I always say if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

shootnstarz

Master
    No problem, they don't make an aftermarket one of these. It's a nosepiece reinforcement bracket.

But I do agree, "you seldom regret having gotten the best" (Ben Franklin)

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    Senior Moment With My Car Keys

They weren't in my pockets. Suddenly I realized I must have left them in the car. Frantically, I headed for the parking lot. My wife has scolded me many times for leaving my keys in the car's ignition.

She's afraid that the car could be stolen. As I looked around the parking lot, I realized she was right. The parking lot was empty. I immediately called the police. I gave them my location, confessed that I had left my keys in the car, and that it had been stolen.

Then I made the most difficult call of all to my wife:"Honey, I left my keys in the car and it's been stolen."

There was a moment of silence. I thought the call had been disconnected, but then I heard her voice."Are you kidding me?" she barked, "I dropped you off!"

Now it was my turn to be silent. Embarrassed, I said, "Well, come and get me."

She retorted,"I will, as soon as I convince this cop that I didn't steal your damn car!"

Seanpcola

I finally made a video with my tablet today. Was going to put it on here just to play with it but don't know how. What do you guys do, load it to youtube and link it or?

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    I finally made a video with my tablet today. Was going to put it on here just to play with it but don't know how. What do you guys do, load it to youtube and link it or?

I don't think anyone wants to see a video of you working so hard and sweating to the point of passing out..

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Well gee, now that you put it that way... if he does post a video of him working and he doesn't pass out we're all gonna feel deprived of the Money Shot.:wink:

Seanpcola

I wouldn't want to post a video of me working and shame you lightweights.

Jk. I shot a video of the Staggerwing landing at Atmore Airport and thought it turned out decent considering in couldn't see the screen and was holding it freehand.

Top Bottom