• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    New store bought gun could be a single call if the manufacturer sold direct. Two with an FFL. Three if a distributor was involved. Even with paper forms it only took me about 5 minutes to get trace information during "business hours".

Silver79

Shooter
    I thought the SS outer perimeter was something like 1,000 yards…..seems somewhat odd that immediately after the shots they identified & neutralized the threat almost as if they knew where he was. How did they not see someone in what looks like all black laying prone on a white roof 130 yards away?

ABlaster

Marksman
    No doubt his security assets are at a minimum... regardless, how does on miss or not account for such an elevated position during a venue threat assessment? Even the most modest of trained individuals would have spotted that building top as a high-value threat, and at minimum, physically manned it with local LE and/or an observer.

On the couple occasions I've worked as LE security with the USSS, local LE sniper assets were used only as spotters/observers, we were never allowed access into the venue, or anywhere near it, with a scoped long gun.

This is dark horse stuff... the ones denying requests for beefed up security knew full well IMO the stage had been set for such an attempt on Trump... Ray Charles could have seen this coming. I can't help but be extremely suspicious as to why that building area wasn't secure.

The head of the USSS and the head person of Trump's detail share the blame in this one.
    I can't see how it wasn't covered and I can't imagine being so complacent as to not check out a report of a suspicious person.

ABlaster

Marksman
    If this kid had just aimed center mass instead of taking a head shot, today we might be planning a funeral
    That's why I didn't think for a minute he was a pro. He would either have known his limitations and taken the center mass shot or he would have been successful in the head shot.

Carl

Master
    First reaction is "wow how could that get by security" and then I realized that shit happens and Trump got unbelievably lucky. Probably all bs in one form or another but I hate that people in the crowd died.

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    You'd be surprised how quickly they can trace a firearm sale. I purchased a cheap AR pistol from a gun shop (brand new) and hated it. Tried to see if the shop would take it back towards something else and they wanted to give me pennies on the dollar for it. So I listed it on Armslist and sold it in a few days. A week later I had the local sheriffs department show up on my door asking questions. Turns out the gun was found at a drug house laying in the front yard after a shootout. Luckily I always do my due diligence when buying and selling. I took photos of the guys ID and permit laying next to the serial number of the gun. I gave the photo to the detectives and never heard back again.

Moral to the story is that a gun can be tracked pretty quickly if all the records are in place. In the case of the attempt on Trump, the kids dad purchased the gun from a local GS so they was a record of the transaction. The kid took the gun (apparently unsecured) and did the shooting. Where the story goes from here is unknown. This wasnt an underaged kid so the parent might not be liable for it. I don't know Pennsylvania's laws regarding gun storage but I think they are pretty strict if I recall correctly.

There are a lot of questions that will have to be answered in this shooting from various levels of Government... including local law enforcement and their role in the protection detail. I am sure that they were responsible for the perimeter as the SS (yeah, i went there) were responsible for the inner areas. The biggest question that must be answered is who was responsible for allowing an armed individual onto an elevated position within 150 yards of a "highly protected" member of our Government.

So I will leave it with this... if our highest level of law enforcement of the land can't protect someone who is supposed to be the most protected individual, how can they protect me and my family? I'll keep my guns.
    I agree it was a failure at all levels. Honestly, I think specifically local LE because they were almost certainly the ones that got flagged down about a suspicious person and did nothing about it. No need to give the "yeah I went there" disclaimer, it's almost certainly their fault. We can give all the opinions we want about how the detail should have done this or that in preparation, but sitting on actionable intel is inexcusable.

I have to give a correction about "the most protected individual," because that would be the sitting President. No one gets that level of service. The former Presidents and candidates get nowhere near it.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    New store bought gun could be a single call if the manufacturer sold direct. Two with an FFL. Three if a distributor was involved. Even with paper forms it only took me about 5 minutes to get trace information during "business hours".

I don’t doubt with the right trail of ownership, plus sense of urgency, it could be hand-tracked quickly.

I’m hopeful they put all of that in an official report so it can be used later to prove that digital searchable databases are an overreach and unnecessary and therefore blatant attempts at tyranny for the lazy.

Wishful thinking, I know.
    Make registries “extra” illegal. Then the BATFECES and other alphabets would be forced to Hillary their existing illegal databases, right?

Yeah. Right.

But that’s not what this thread is about.

We’re all lucky that Trump survived.
    We’re lucky the shooter was not skilled enough.

Imagine the National uprisings if that bullet did more and irreparable damage?

FJB and every POS who thinks his regime is good for this Nation.

olliges74

Shooter
    If it was a pro hit I’d expect a bolt action with a single shot to the chest with a heavier AP round. Clearly was a semi auto, he fired several rounds quickly and I’m guessing it was a 223 caliber with basic FMJ , hence President Trump didn’t have the ear ripped completely off. If he was a legit sniper that should be a kill shot at that distance easily, 200m is nothing.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, something like a 160+ grain .308 or 6.5CM that's really moving would have removed or shredded the whole ear and some of the scalp at that distance. I'm thinking it was a 55 grain FMJ .223, especially considering ppl saying it was a "AR-type" rifle, not a "hunting-style" bolt action which would have been used by someone who actually has any experience shooting.

olliges74

Shooter
    I wouldn't be surprised that DHS leadership intentionally put the lowest performers on that detail, then ignored requests for any support going above bare minimum. That's the type of shit in the military that commanders do when they get stupid/shitty orders from O-6's and above and don't want it affecting their units other operations. Then when whatever op gets scrubbed after failing repeatedly, they can say they followed orders.

Gumby Hunter

Expert
    I wouldn't be surprised that DHS leadership intentionally put the lowest performers on that detail, then ignored requests for any support going above bare minimum. That's the type of shit in the military that commanders do when they get stupid/shitty orders from O-6's and above and don't want it affecting their units other operations. Then when whatever op gets scrubbed after failing repeatedly, they can say they followed orders.
    There’s going to be some poopoo slinging at the hearings that will be worth watching

Latest posts

Top Bottom