• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Got my Battle Arms Development receiver set in last night. Man, that thing is sexy! I have already installed the Norgon ambi-catch magazine release, the Seekins Precision bolt catch, and the Battle Arms Development Extended Model magazine release. Now, I am waiting on a bunch of other stuff to arrive. Taking the upper receiver and LaRue barrel (that I won at Christmas) down to Phil at Jay's this morning so he can put M4 feedramps on the barrel extension so it will work with the receiver. No telling how long it will be before I get it back, but the lower should be assembled about the middle of next week.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Since Tuesday, I've bought 2 guns, sold 2 guns, done some tweaking on my Shadow which involved disassembly and reassembly (twice), dry fired every night, got some gun parts delivered, and ordered 2 sets of Dawson sights. Tonight I'm going to do some more dry fire and pack up everything for the MPSA USPSA match tomorrow.

rtprthd

Master
    Picked up a well used W. German 220 on a trade today. Need to find some time in the next week or two to get to the range and find out what all the fuss is about with Sigs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Today, I put a bid on a sweet Lightweight Bobtail, to be my new carry gun and crown jewel of my collection. Wish me luck.
    bd352660e395f8967c14542e450923da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    I had put a new extractor in the M16 (had some previous failures to extract fired case) and met up with Kendive at his place to give it a longer test. 160 rounds fired with zero failures to extract fired cases, steel and brass cased. Only used a 20rd mag to slow down the rate of fire and be easier on the bbl. Not shown is the fan cooling off the bbl. We then played with Kendive's suppressed .308 with subsonic reloads he was velocity testing. Listen very carefully at the end of 308 subsonic 3 and you'll hear the thump of the bullet hitting 91 yards away. First round out of the suppressor was a touch loader...typical. What a great day!

[video]https://youtu.be/dXimsBa6DZw[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/4Q9sWhwkpiY[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/RIatOE0kx64[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/E1IszF1NpO8[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/ksoySKuqR68[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/YdrrccCVkwQ[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/MhKbczmYytg[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/qV_hifmcDhE[/video]

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    In war movies a 20rd mag on full auto seem to last longer than yours did.:wink:

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Yeah and in the movies they can shoot 8 or 9 shots out of a six-shot revolver too.

Daezee

Master
    Just pulled and measured the buffer spring: 12 5/8" long. Just measured a new spare rifle buffer spring: 12 3/8" long. Looked up rifle buffer spring specs and when to change them (change if below min length): 11 3/4" minimum and 13 1/2" maximum. So, spring appears in spec. The spring in that lower has been fired 9,513 rounds. http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-bufferspring I do happen to have one of these Tubb flatwire springs. I found it too stiff for some of my 300 Blackout loads, so I set it aside. Empties were ejecting about 2 o'clock. I'll try the Tubb's spring tomorrow and see where the empties eject to. My M16 has always fired like it did today, rate-wise, if I remember correctly (and with an 11 1/2" upper too). Both "medium" strength reloads with 25.3gr WC846 and 55gr fmj and Wolf 55gr fmj ammo were used today. The particular 20" chrome lined 4140 steel bbl used today has had a total of 1084 rounds fired, mostly full auto with the bbl being cooled between mags using a fan so it never got super hot; throat still gages near to as new.

I just visited youtube and watched M16 videos. Sometimes they appeared to cycle just as fast as mine WHEN USING 20-30 RD MAGS. Sometimes when using higher capacity mags they seem slower. The mag used is an old 20rd Magpul I always take to the range trying to wear it out using .223 and 300 Blackout...it's had many thousands of rounds through it. I'll try a new 20rd mag too.

They may be firing blanks in "war movies". Anyone have a M16 GI BFA? I have some blanks that could be tested for rate of fire. Anyone have a timer than can do rate of fire? Might be kinda fun to test different ammo's and mags for their rate of fire.

Thanks for the concern and comments.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Panama City Gun Show today. Got there an hour after it opened and constant line buying tickets. Stayed for two hours and it was elbow to elbow the full time. Calls to NICS were on hold 15+ minutes, major log jam with lines of people with completed form. About 7% of vendor space was empty but more there thin last show. A lot more ammo vendors with big stock of common and harder to find calibers. 22LR still being hawked at .10 a round. Bulk cases in popular calibers were abundant. Gun prices were higher then local shops. Cash gets a small discount but still above local dealers. Factory referbished G42 $425, NAA PUG (std sight) $400, plain jane bushy $900. Took a good wad and spent $29 including tickets. Better then a day at work though.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Thanks for the report. I just wish for once people would not go to teach these shows a lesson, I just refuse to give them the entry $$

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Had a great time shooting USPSA in Vinegar Bend today. Excellent stage setup with some challenges to make you think about your round counts and reloads. Always enjoy meeting new guys from the forum as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    There is merit in your words but inspection and handling what interests me does have value. There is always a chance to find a deal (normally from walking sellers) too. And I'm an addict!

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    There is merit in your words but inspection and handling what interests me does have value. There is always a chance to find a deal (normally from walking sellers) too. And I'm an addict!

You are right of course but would just like to spank the operators for a better show! Hey I was at the range in Gulf breeze/Navarre, Oak Ridge? I think they have every handgun being bought today, I was very impressed w the inventory has to be the largest in the area....No I cannot comment on pricing as I don't keep up with that huge a selection.

I got my Battle Arms Development receiver built last night. Now, all I have to do is wait for Phil at Jay's to get the M4 feedramps done on the barrel.

Daezee

Master
    Just pulled and measured the buffer spring: 12 5/8" long. Just measured a new spare rifle buffer spring: 12 3/8" long. Looked up rifle buffer spring specs and when to change them (change if below min length): 11 3/4" minimum and 13 1/2" maximum. So, spring appears in spec. The spring in that lower has been fired 9,513 rounds. http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-bufferspring I do happen to have one of these Tubb flatwire springs. I found it too stiff for some of my 300 Blackout loads, so I set it aside. Empties were ejecting about 2 o'clock. I'll try the Tubb's spring tomorrow and see where the empties eject to. My M16 has always fired like it did today, rate-wise, if I remember correctly (and with an 11 1/2" upper too). Both "medium" strength reloads with 25.3gr WC846 and 55gr fmj and Wolf 55gr fmj ammo were used today. The particular 20" chrome lined 4140 steel bbl used today has had a total of 1084 rounds fired, mostly full auto with the bbl being cooled between mags using a fan so it never got super hot; throat still gages near to as new.

I just visited youtube and watched M16 videos. Sometimes they appeared to cycle just as fast as mine WHEN USING 20-30 RD MAGS. Sometimes when using higher capacity mags they seem slower. The mag used is an old 20rd Magpul I always take to the range trying to wear it out using .223 and 300 Blackout...it's had many thousands of rounds through it. I'll try a new 20rd mag too.

They may be firing blanks in "war movies". Anyone have a M16 GI BFA? I have some blanks that could be tested for rate of fire. Anyone have a timer than can do rate of fire? Might be kinda fun to test different ammo's and mags for their rate of fire.

Thanks for the concern and comments.

Fired the M16 off a bench with gun held level today. With the buffer spring that's always been in it, the empties were ejected 2:30 to 3 o'clock. With Tubb's spring installed, the empties went in the 2 to 2:30 o'clock direction. Empties with Tubb's spring also went about a foot less in distance, and the pile of empties was less in diameter than the pile fired with the normal spring. I then loaded up my old, well used Magpul 20rd mag and dumped it full auto with the Tubb's spring...rate of fire seemed the same as with the normal spring. I then loaded up a brand new C Products 30rd mag and dumped it...rate of fire seemed same as the old 20rd mag. Of course a rate of fire timer would be the true judge. Same batch of ammo used in all testing today.

I have a place where full auto fire is OK and have invited owners of 3 M16's to fire theirs so we can compare. Also note that if you saw the Thompson and Sterling videos, the ammo used in them was less than "full power", so it ran them a bit slower.

120 more rounds fired today with no failures. I'll go clean it now and measure the throat wear. Life is good! My M16 is currently in the A2 configuration, but without the burst feature. Tubb's flatwire AR buffer spring is rated for 500,000 compression cycles; I also counted its coils to make sure it matched specs to make sure I was sent the correct AR spring; my rifle buffer also appeared to be in proper condition with no cracks or pieces broken off. If anyone else has thoughts on the subject, post them please.

B52

Master
    You know the movies are not real right? They don't generally use real guns.

Top Bottom