• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    With my forgetful old brain I paid less than $10 for an automatic shut off timer else I would have burned out my motor years ago.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Put in a quarter of a paper towel...it will take out quite a bit of dirt from the media and make it last at least twice as long. Some people put in a used dryer anti static sheet to pick up the dirt.

I use a dryer sheet or two with every load. Helps reduce the dust as well.

With my forgetful old brain I paid less than $10 for an automatic shut off timer else I would have burned out my motor years ago.

I use something similar to this (http://amzn.to/2fzGoDp) with 1hr increments.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Watch the load limit on these though. Only rated for 1000 Watts or about 8.3 Amps. Space heaters and such will ruin them.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Slicked up the RIA 1911 with some polishing of contact points, except the trigger group, along with an 18lb main spring and 10lb recoil spring. Trigger is at 3lb 4oz with some grit and creep, but what more can you ask for from a $550 jobber from the Philippines.

wildrider666

Master
    Slicked up the RIA 1911 with some polishing of contact points, except the trigger group, along with an 18lb main spring and 10lb recoil spring. Trigger is at 3lb 4oz with some grit and creep, but what more can you ask for from a $550 jobber from the Philippines.

When I think of Companies that make the same basic firearm under several different name, I picture a row of barrels: great parts go in barrel #1, good enough parts go in #5 and budget "might work" stuff goes in #10. Separating the wheat from the chaff. Not sure what names go with which barrels.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    I ordered a Sightron 4-20x50mm scope for my kids gun. Hope it performs competitively with the Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50mm series?????????????

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Wet tumbled around 1000 pieces of.223 brass while tinkering with projects around the house.

Gas Port

Master
    I sent my Aristocrat sight rib off to the manufacturer on the left coast to repair the rear sight. I got a email today saying they can repair the rear sight and mill and install a weaver rail for less than 1/3rd the price of a new rib.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Sold 4 Glocks, 4k rounds of .223, and 2k rounds of 9mm this past week. Should have enough now to pay for our move coming up in the next couple of months without having to come out of pocket. Man I cant wait to get outta this shit hole.

Rapier

Marksman
    Received the order from Optical Planet that was back ordered for a month. I needed an air gun scope and air gun rings. Maybe this combo will stay on the RWS I have to shoot in town where discharging a firearm is illegal. The order also included a tactical sling, rings and a 3x9x40 scope for a Christmas gift.
    Ed

SCTaylor

Expert
    When I think of Companies that make the same basic firearm under several different name, I picture a row of barrels: great parts go in barrel #1, good enough parts go in #5 and budget "might work" stuff goes in #10. Separating the wheat from the chaff. Not sure what names go with which barrels.

Well I look at the budget - production - semi/full custom in three different ways to go along with the basic three types of gun folks; 1) Gotta have collector / weekend warrior lite 2) Weekend Warrior / Competition Dudes 3) I like Guns, Have Money, Or Gotta Have the Best

Now these 3 can break down into a million subcatagories but here is my basic take.

1) Gotta have collector / weekend warrior lite - This kinda person buys & sells often, shoots ~500 - 1000 round per year, total in all guns.
    2) Weekend Warrior / Competition - WW is a dude prepared for the food court, Soviet Hoards (WOLVERINES!!) or a Serious USPSA/IDPA/Steel/Action Pistol etc shooter that will shoot 3k - 10k+ per year
    3) I like Guns, Have Money, Or Gotta Have the Be - These are much like class #1 but can or will pay for top end stuff; Wilson, Les Baer, Daniel Defense etc., but still probably don't shoot that much.

Anyway my point is, Rock Islands have a very good reputation of value per $$. Will it hold up like a Colt, Springer, or Sig? Probably not, but I plan to put ~5k rounds down range in 2017 with mine. I see the RIA's as a great fit for guys who want to try a 1911 but can't commit ~$800, however, $550 is doable. I wouldn't trust my life to it or ever say it's "as good" as the brands noted above.

In the future when the money is available, I will have a full custom $3,000 1911 built. But my RIA and a Sig Max 1911 (in the future) will have to do until then.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Early Christmas from Botach...
    93c2fe0d026cc8accff36cec5769ba5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Anyway my point is, Rock Islands have a very good reputation of value per $$. Will it hold up like a Colt, Springer, or Sig? Probably not, but I plan to put ~5k rounds down range in 2017 with mine. I see the RIA's as a great fit for guys who want to try a 1911 but can't commit ~$800, however, $550 is doable ...........

I wasn't knocking RIA, a lot of folks are happy with them, just that a lot of brands get manufactured by a few plants in the PI. Quality varies between products from te same company. I got no problem with guns that work as advertised. I like budget when it delivers value. Taurus 1911 is the only gun I sold, missed it and then bought another one.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Ah gotcha! I'm ignorant to the rest of the stuff coming out of that region. And who builds what down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom