• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kendive

Master
    Daezee and I helped a friend site in his Rem 700 300 BO and did a little shooting at 200 yards. Daezee shot his Ruger Precision .308 at 200 Yards and I played around with the Rem 700 .308 with subsonics at 200 yards.

14844176365877_zpsdxlukshg.jpg

14844176359582_zps37blm8v9.jpg

14844176364896_zps0p4dweds.jpg

14844180710279_zpsgzwz7qhe.jpg

14844180710330_zps89fgfvuv.jpg

Video of the Ruger Precision .308

[video]https://youtu.be/O2M6oRD2H0E[/video]

Rapier

Marksman
    A frind brought by a project he has been working on for a couple of years, with no success. It started when he, on social security, decided to build a 1911 himself out of inexpensive pieces and parts, as cheap as possible, so he bought pieces and parts from several makers including a 1960s made IMI slide, 70 series, and a Caspian 2nd frame, with advertized "minor blemishes." The frame would only fit mil spec pins through one side, a bit much as a minor blemish for most people. The Slide and frame would not start to fit together. After 5 hours of hand work the slide and frame fit together as a 1911 match gun should, perfectly, and all of the cross pins would fit the frame easily but snugly.

He decided he could get the "beauty" to the functioning stage at this point and took his project home. I hope he can get it done, but really suspect, based on what I saw of the main parts, I will see it again. I am afraid the internal parts may not fit or function together from frame to slide. This could be another case of no good deed goes unpunished.

How much does he have in this "inexpensive" match build so far? Just $800 in parts, with no function! If you ever get the idea to do something like this, go buy a decent platform to start a nice build from. You can not make a sow's ear into a silk purse regardless of how much you pray over a POS.
    Ed

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Daezee and I helped a friend site in his Rem 700 300 BO and did a little shooting at 200 yards. Daezee shot his Ruger Precision .308 at 200 Yards and I played around with the Rem 700 .308 with subsonics at 200 yards.

14844176365877_zpsdxlukshg.jpg

14844176359582_zps37blm8v9.jpg

14844176364896_zps0p4dweds.jpg

14844180710279_zpsgzwz7qhe.jpg

14844180710330_zps89fgfvuv.jpg

Video of the Ruger Precision .308

[video]https://youtu.be/O2M6oRD2H0E[/video]
    Can you give some data on your 308 subs? Not load data, but performance. Bullet weight,drops, twist,etc. I don't reload, so I'm stuck with factory ammo. I've only found Beck Ammo subs with 168gr. To stabilize out of R.E.M. 700 1/12 twist. I get 9.25 MOA drop off of a 100 yard zero with supers.

kendive

Master
    Can you give some data on your 308 subs? Not load data, but performance. Bullet weight,drops, twist,etc. I don't reload, so I'm stuck with factory ammo. I've only found Beck Ammo subs with 168gr. To stabilize out of R.E.M. 700 1/12 twist. I get 9.25 MOA drop off of a 100 yard zero with supers.

I load my own 308 subs and I use 180gr and 220gr with 700x and are very stable out to 200 yards they leave clean holes in the target and are very accurate. That day I was shooting EBR subsonic ammo I bought a while ago they are 180gr round nose and they are very inconsistent with velocity so it was hard to get a consistent POI with them. My Rem 700 is a 1 in 10 Tactical 16.5" Barrel

My Rem 700 is sighted in at 100 yards for subs. With that EBR ammo I was holding two mil over but again that EBR ammo sucks.

I will get more results later when I shot my ammo more. I have mostly been working on load data for subs and not really concerned with bullet drop and all just yet.

I know I will never buy subsonic ammo online again. I can make my own that is much better and way cheaper.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Yesterday morning I loaded up some 115gr 9 major loads to test. I managed to get out to the range yesterday afternoon with the chrono and got some positive results. I like the performance of the rounds so far(didn't check accuracy). The gun feels the same in my hands, but the dot movement is much more sedate/predictable than the 125gr loads. A friend told me that the 115's are harder on the gun, but I think I'm going to load up a bunch and test try them out. I've still got a lot of 124's loaded and will continue to shoot those while I'm getting a stockpile of 115's built up.

I find myself telling folks about GCGF and my shooting sports calendar website nearly every time I go to the range (people always want to know about my open guns and competitions), so I ordered 500 business cards with those web addresses this morning. If other people are like me, most of them probably forgot the names by the time they left the range. I'm going to keep a stack in my truck and in my range bag, so I can give them out when I tell people about the sites. If anyone else would like some, let me know.

Last edited:

SCTaylor

Expert
    Picked up about 10lbs of brass Saturday after the match, looks to be a lot of 40 & 45 along with a decent amount of 38 Super/Comp and 9mm.

Sold some CZ magazines, fixing to order base pads for my Tanfo and a thinner front sight.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Spent the weekend in Orange Beach at my cousin's house and we put 4 10/22's together, one of which was mine. Installed a Midway fluted bull barrel, Kidd trigger kit, bolt release, charging handle, new springs, Hogue rubberized stock, DeadNutz one piece scope mount an rings, and some other stuff I can't remember.

Took it to ERGC today since they were open for the holiday and it worked GREAT! Even my tired old eyes and shaky hands got good results and man was it fun!

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    I went to ERGC this morning as well. Sighted in a new-ish red dot on an AR, wanted to do some practice for this weekends USPSA match but helping my daughter shoot her 10/22 took priority. Once she got the scope dialed in, the clay pigeons on the berm at about 30 yds didn't stand a chance. She was ringing a 8" steel plate at 100 yds. She had a great time which meant that I had even more fun.

LowRiderRed

Master
    I went to ERGC this morning as well. Sighted in a new-ish red dot on an AR, wanted to do some practice for this weekends USPSA match but helping my daughter shoot her 10/22 took priority. Once she got the scope dialed in, the clay pigeons on the berm at about 30 yds didn't stand a chance. She was ringing a 8" steel plate at 100 yds. She had a great time which meant that I had even more fun.
    I got there mid day and noticed a girl and a man shooting clay targets on Range 3 I believe. Targets were on the ground. I'm sure she shoots better than I do.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    I got there mid day and noticed a girl and a man shooting clay targets on Range 3 I believe. Targets were on the ground. I'm sure she shoots better than I do.
    Range 2, we left around 1100 or so. And yeah, she's a good shot... when I can get her to go with me.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I called Brad at Blackdog Gunworks today to ask a few final questions before placing my order and he called me back this evening in the middle of my dry fire session with my current Blackdog gun. He was extremely helpful in answering my abundant questions and we got all of the final details worked out on the build. I kept thinking about the new gun after we got off the phone and I couldn't get back into dry fire, so I printed off a new build sheet, filled it out (legibly this time, without all of my notes), scanned it, emailed it, and sent him the deposit tonight. If all of the desired parts are available, it should be in my hands in about 6 weeks. That should give me a couple weeks to verify function before the AL sectional. At the very least, I can use my current gun and have it as a backup. If the parts aren't available, I'll have to decide whether to substitute or just wait it out.

Members online

Top Bottom