• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricochet

Master
    Looks like I am not the only one plagued with making choices..sorry I can't help you.

But if you have a belt you can recomend...

Dan1612

Master
    Looks like I am not the only one plagued with making choices..sorry I can't help you.
    But if you have a belt you can recomend...

I LOVE my Wilson Combat belt. Nice and thick, but order the next size up. I wear it and use it for IDPA, does great at both.

Ricochet

Master
    I LOVE my Wilson Combat belt. Nice and thick, but order the next size up. I wear it and use it for IDPA, does great at both.

Thank you.

I just checked their website.

May get one for my husband. Whilst I am opened to a unisex/tactical belt, those are quite unmistakenly manly men.
    ( That is a compliment to you )

But I really don't want to look butch while shooting..:)

They did list an instructor belt but was discontinued.

I may get this one but the more feminine "softer color is put of stock:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/gaadshbepo.html

If anyone does not recommend this belt. please speaketh now..

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    ^^Take a look at soe gear or bladetech belts. Some come in red.
    Dan I think any Nighthawk gun is spectacular.

Ricochet

Master
    ^^Take a look at soe gear or bladetech belts. Some come in red.

The Bladetech may work..will see if I can find a good price.

This is my first attempt at a match. I don't want to spend $300 on belt, holster and mag pouch not knowing anything about what will eventually suit me.

Thank you!

Dan1612

Master
    Match? If it's for idpa, we can loan you a mag pouch and holster. Gander Mtn has 5.11 nylon belts that would work just fine.

Dan1612

Master
    True, but there are slight differences that might mean the difference between a keeper and selling it at a loss down the road, but only I can probably decide which is best. Thanks though.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    The Bladetech may work..will see if I can find a good price.

This is my first attempt at a match. I don't want to spend $300 on belt, holster and mag pouch not knowing anything about what will eventually suit me.

Thank you!
    Like Hiest said I've tried one the 5.11 belts and for $20 it's hard to beat. Also you find a deal on a kydex type holster on amazon. I picked up a bladetech for a 1911 for about $25 and it sure beats a fobus. Just sayin

Ricochet

Master
    Actually, I can't decide whether I want the Falcon, GRP or AAC. Ahhh! It's killing me! Any input?

My husband's input on your dilema ( He likes 1911's ):

"All look great and great reputation for Nighthawk, really a question of personal preference and of course if wanting a flash suppressor. Nighthawks do tend to take a while to run in reliably due to being tightly fitted and their expecting the wear process to get the final fit working instead of interfering, so may not be something to count on off the shelf or right away. Unless things have changed recently, this was at least true for a long time."

Dan1612

Master
    My husband's input on your dilema ( He likes 1911's ):

"All look great and great reputation for Nighthawk, really a question of personal preference and of course if wanting a flash suppressor. Nighthawks do tend to take a while to run in reliably due to being tightly fitted and their expecting the wear process to get the final fit working instead of interfering, so may not be something to count on off the shelf or right away. Unless things have changed recently, this was at least true for a long time."
    Thanks, I really don't plan in getting a suppressor anytime soon, but I like having the option, and I LOVE the way the AAC looks, even though the slim grips and shorter trigger might make it feel awkward in my rather large paws. The two nighthawks I've owned ran great right out of the box, but one rattled, which I HATE! I'm actually also considering a used Ed Brown for $1k less. I'll see if Jim's can bring all four from Baton Rouge for me to inspect I plan on having a new 1911 on Monday, we'll see how it goes. I appreciate your and your husband's input. Much appreciated.

Ricochet

Master
    Thanks, I really don't plan in getting a suppressor anytime soon, but I like having the option, and I LOVE the way the AAC looks, even though the slim grips and shorter trigger might make it feel awkward in my rather large paws. The two nighthawks I've owned ran great right out of the box, but one rattled, which I HATE! I'm actually also considering a used Ed Brown for $1k less. I'll see if Jim's can bring all four from Baton Rouge for me to inspect I plan on having a new 1911 on Monday, we'll see how it goes. I appreciate your and your husband's input. Much appreciated.

If just aesthetics I can give you my input:

AAC hands down. I love the clean look of the slide and I favour the solid look of the trigger.

It also looks overall more inviting for match performance - as in, hopefully it will raise your game just by your looking at it.

Can you perhaps order the AAC with the GRP grips? They look beefier.

What I disliked the most on the Falcon was the huge name Flacon written on the slide ( which I prefer as clean as possible ) and on top of it in a mediocre font.

My second choice would be the GRP but same issue with the big name GRP scribbled on the slide but the font more tolerable.

I dislike the look of the trigger on both the GRP and Falcon. Though I understand it is supposed to make it "lighter". ( I can't tell the difference I am not at that higher level of performance).

The AAC and the GRP are more in line with your belt choice.

There is an Ed Brown Special Forces on Floridaguntrader:

https://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=457774

Example of a clean slide:

http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-1911-pistols/national-standard-deluxe/

Ricochet

Master
    Today I called the range that holds the IDPA matches in my area.

They have an Action Pistol practice Tuesdays and Fridays and I got some idea of what to bring and the cost.

There is also a class but I am not interested. I think I can learn by just showing up and being shown as I go along.

Garpo

Master
    It's what I found. I totally forgot about an unmarked ammo can that I had stored away. Opened it and discovered 3 pounds of sealed Red Dot powder. That's over 4,400 rounds of 45ACP happiness. :madgrin:

Ricochet

Master
    Match? If it's for idpa, we can loan you a mag pouch and holster. Gander Mtn has 5.11 nylon belts that would work just fine.

Thanks. I am unfortunately in Clearwater, Fl.

This website seems more active then the one in my area. Maybe those living more central/south Fl are here just for the beaches and not so much interested in gun activities.

I do like the videos and pictures you guys post and the overall comradery I see on and off screen.

It is, I believe quite a distance to drive just for a weekend match, even. Not until I can actually shoot. :)

bohica793

Master
    Spent some quality time at Styx River this morning with the 45-70. Just recently received my 460-405 grain mold from NOE and needed to try some loads with it. Out of the three loads I had worked up, the 24 grains of SR4759 put 20 rounds in a 2-3" group at 100 yards. 26 grains of 5744 and 14 grains of Trail Boss did not produce good results at all and those powders will require more work.

Ricochet

Master
    Like Hiest said I've tried one the 5.11 belts and for $20 it's hard to beat. Also you find a deal on a kydex type holster on amazon. I picked up a bladetech for a 1911 for about $25 and it sure beats a fobus. Just sayin

No Blade tech holster for HK USP 9 Compact.

On he belt, this one seems a little sturdier than the 5.11 and less expensive then the Bladetech:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GVDX2U0/ref=twister_B009T6T7P0

I proly will just get the Alien Gear Holster for the HK at $30.

This is my current and first choice for a CCW and my goal for now is not competition but to be able to deploy the weapon under stress.

God help our budget if I end up being good at shooting and matches..it will get serious.

I already want to buya mark 23 to do Steel Challenge.
    I do believe, however, expensive gear and guns have to be eraned by hard work and talent.

If I don't have it, I will be happy to watch those who do.

Ricochet

Master
    Beautiful area. My dad lives in Dunedin and I am down that way often. Can you recommend a good outdoor range down there?

Outdoor range here there only seems to be one, The Wyoming Antelope Club:

http://www.wyomingantelopeclub.org/general-information/

I have not been there yet so I can't "recommend" until next week: I am planing on going to the Action Pistol there.

Others I have spoke to have no complaints.

We currently have a membership at Florida Firearms Academy in Oldsmar ( 10 minutes from Countryside mall ) since they were allowing reloads and remanufactured ammo.
    But of late I am interested in rifle also, and I prefer the outdoor experience.

I will let you know about my experience at the Wyoming Club and the prices for non members.

Latest posts

Top Bottom