• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Had a good morning shooting at land today. It's HOT so picked up this nice fan from Lowes. Make a big difference.

Loaded up some .308 220 Gr Sierra Rd Nose subs to shoot at 200 yards. Load data (9gr of 700x Mag Primer) I get very good results with the Rem 700 and the YHM Ti-QD Suppressor. I can hit the center of a 12" steel target every time at 200 yards dialing the SWFA scope 118 1/4" clicks up. This scope is sighting in dead on at 200 yards with full .308 150 gr bullets (Freedom Munitions stuff) Just what I had at the time.

Friend of mine brought his Rem 700 .308 (All Black)

Some Pics...

0RD22Cc.jpg

gA0vCps.jpg

yVNQrt1.jpg

lT3jaMU.jpg

Is that a Solid Fold tonneau cover?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I spent 5 hours practicing at the MPSA range in Vinegar Bend on Saturday with a few other local competitive shooters. I spent a lot of time on the plate rack with my CZ, trying to re-learn how to shoot iron sights before the MS State Limited match next month. My gun got so hot a few times that I could feel it burning my weak hand thumb in the middle of a drill. I had to put it in the shade to cool off and switch to my open or my AR to keep practicing.

There's one stage in the MS State CQB rifle match in a couple weeks that's going to have an unloaded start, so Taxil343 and I spent at least a half hour working on loading and charging the rifle while moving into the shooting area. I'm going to make a handful of dummy rounds in the next few days and spend some more time on that in dry fire. I need to break it down into individual tasks/techniques and focus on doing those absolutely correctly.

IH424

Expert
    There's one stage in the MS State CQB rifle match in a couple weeks that's going to have an unloaded start, so Taxil343 and I spent at least a half hour working on loading and charging the rifle while moving into the shooting area. I'm going to make a handful of dummy rounds in the next few days and spend some more time on that in dry fire. I need to break it down into individual tasks/techniques and focus on doing those absolutely correctly.

Which stage? I guess I need to find my Magpul dummy rounds and practice.

Dan1612

Master
    I.
    You insert and rack. It's not rocket science, Jeep.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    You insert and rack. It's not rocket science, Jeep.

Got that. But we actually learned a lot about the best technique for each of us during that practice.

I started out by letting the rifle float around in space, which made it difficult to insert the mag. Once I started tucking the buttstock into my ribs/underarm, it stabilized the rifle much more, allowing more consistent insertion. We also found that it was faster overall to take smaller steps while inserting the mag, then start taking larger steps while charging the rifle. It's just one of those things I'd never practiced before Saturday.

Dan1612

Master
    ^
    Ah, of course! The varsity class.
    Would you also tuck it in during reloads? I found it necessary running heavier guns like M1A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    ^
    Ah, of course! The varsity class.
    Would you also tuck it in during reloads? I found it necessary running heavier guns like M1A.

Probably not necessary for reloads, since the gun is already at my shoulder. My AR isn't a lightweight, but it isn't terribly heavy either. There shouldn't be any reloads in this match, barring a big malfunction.

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Installed my Taran extended baseplates and backplate. 40rds of HST loaded up.
    c9e7d2fadbbf531dfae05633fdf6b3b2.jpg
    12b17236a8f0bb8d3c15993cb313ce44.jpg

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Nice rig stuntin. Seems like all the cool kids have the RMR 19. ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Hit CORE this morning and worked on some movement drills with Jasonb. Some serpentine footwork and one I'm calling "Oh Shit" because we heard that phrase used a lot running it; 5 cones, 2 B/C zone steels, 30 rounds, limited impact zone (head and head width stripe down the middle) transition to pistol if your rifle runs dry.

Daezee

Master
    Was having bizarre failures to drop the hammer when pulling the trigger on my Noveske AR (yes the safety was off) and some failures to be able to pull the charging handle to the rear. Finally found a primer anvil in the trigger group. Ah ha, it's fixed! But the random failures continued. Found another anvil in the trigger group hidden under the front portion of the trigger. It's now really fixed. Examined my brass from that day's shooting and only found 1 missing the primer. This explains the previous random problems.

Was gonna buy some 3" colored round stickers for targets. Trying to find them cheaper than through a shooting supply place online, I discovered them on Amazon under Office Products. MUCH cheaper if not being sold as "targets", as in about one fifth the cost. Bonus, my wife is a Amazon Prime customer, so the rolls I bought had free 2 day shipping. Gonna now order some other round stickers of various sizes and colors. Even found square stickers.

SAWMAN

Master
    Bruce, I use the 4"X4" brightly colored squares from office depot. One small tack holds them on paper.
    I have been absolutely killin' em at the 300yd range.--- SAWMAN

Top Bottom