• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    I found 3 brand new Glock brand G17 seventeen round mags (that I took out of the packaging myself today) that would not load past 9 rounds of FMJ. PERIOD. Push, pull or prod they would not do one single more. Three mags out of six that I bought brand new from a reputable local FFL. Anybody else ever had this problem with a Glock brand magazine?

SAWMAN

Master
    James,should have gotten a PATTERN MASTER.
    Read up on them. Been using the ported,extended,.620",and the "close range",in 12ga for some years now.
    Just got two more for my new Franchi 20ga.
    These chokes will make your shot "strings" drop from about 20' to ... A WAD that hits hard.
    Using my 18.5" Benelli M1 Super 90,and my hand loaded 1.5oz of #8 shot,can shread a crow at 60-70yds.
    They also make a extended/ported tube for large shot (high flying geese) and buckshot. Used for calling coyotes on the edge of frozen lakes in Maine. Using my Benelli,made clean kills at 70-80yds using a load of "BB" or #4buck.
    PATTERN MASTER IS PROVEN. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I found 3 brand new Glock brand G17 seventeen round mags (that I took out of the packaging myself today) that would not load past 9 rounds of FMJ. PERIOD. Push, pull or prod they would not do one single more. Three mags out of six that I bought brand new from a reputable local FFL. Anybody else ever had this problem with a Glock brand magazine?
    could some CA compliant ones gotten in his shipment by mistake? Pull it apart and check the follower

SAWMAN

Master
    My "closer" range turkey,coyote,hog gun.
    BENELLI M1 SUPER 90 with 7 shot tube. Also have a 5 shot.
    This gun + Pattern Master choke tubes are a match made in heaven.
    Bought this gun in 1993'ish. ---- SAWMAN
    20220114_062409.jpg

FLT

Master
    Measured the barrel thickness on a pair of shotguns I got for my grandsons , I’m going to cut them at 22 inches and thread them for screw in chokes.

SAWMAN

Master
    Measured the barrel thickness on a pair of shotguns I got for my grandsons , I’m going to cut them at 22 inches and thread them for screw in chokes.
    How much "thickness" do you figure you need to chop and re-thread for screw in chokes ??
    Never could figure that one.
    Any info will be appreciated sir. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Shotgun-choke2.jpg

Before accepting a barrel for machining to accept screw-in chokes, you must measure the outside diameter (O.D.) to determine if there will be sufficient wall thickness after machining. “Mike” the O.D. of the barrel and the O.D. of the tap for the particular gauge. Subtract the O.D. of the tap from that of the barrel, divide by 2, and this will give the wall thickness after machine, providing the O.D. of the barrel is concentric with the inside diameter (I.D.).A sample calculation appears below.

Barrel O.D. (12 Gauge)
    Tap O.D. (12 Gauge) Win-Choke™

.850″
    -.814″
    .036″ / 2 = .018″ Wall Thickness​
    We DO NOT recommend installations in barrels where the resultant wall thickness will be less than .015″, providing the I.D. of the barrel is concentric with the O.D. If the I.D. is not concentric with the O.D., you will have to make your own decision as to whether the installation will be safe.
    In addition, you CANNOT install screw-in chokes in barrels whose inside diameter (I.D.) exceed the following dimension:
    10 ga. – .780″
    12 ga. – .735″
    12 ga. Thinwall – .728″
    16 ga. – .666″
    20 ga. – .624″.
    Exceeding these dimensions WILL CAUSE DAMAGED CHOKE TUBES and there is a GREAT POSSIBILITY OF CAUSING A BARREL BLOW-OUT! Check EVERY installation before firing to make sure the tube does not protrude into the bore. Back-bored of jug-choked barrels are usually NOT suitable for screw-in choke installation.
    “Choke” is the difference in diameter between the cylinder portion of the barrel and the constriction at the end of the barrel. This determines pattern density of the shot charge. This difference is measured in thousandths of an inch. For instance, a “Modified” choke will show a 0.020″ difference in diameter. “Full” choke will show a 0.040″ difference in diameter. These are the general dimensions, if you’re choke is off by a couple of thousandths its not a crisis.
    There is no absolute standard to which all barrel manufacturers adhere to, bore dimensions in shotguns vary widely. So, you will sometimes get a “tighter” or “looser” pattern from a given choke tube in a particular shotgun. Brand of ammo, loading, and size of the shot will make a difference as well. To get optimum pattern density will require some experimenting. Two, otherwise identical shotguns from the same manufacturer may have very different preferences in ammunition or you can try different diameter chokes.
    As a general rule, steel shot will pattern about one choke “tighter” than lead shot. Therefore, some choke tubes will say something like “Lead-Modified, Steel-Full”. Normally Steel chokes are marked as such. Always check to be sure that your shotgun barrel and/or choke tubes are steel shot compatible before shooting steel shot in your shotgun. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer of your barrel, shotgun or choke tube

Daezee

Master
    Installed the AR mag well into my Ruger American Ranch Rifle 7.62x39 (I have 1 Mini 30 mag that came with the rifle and multiple 7.62x39 AR mags). Total cost to me was $23.95 (went in with another owner that wanted an AR mag well and we split the $8 shipping). Tested it with 4 different AR 7.62x39 mags with flawless functioning in a brief test with 2 rounds loaded in each mag. Ruger was out of flat dark earth color, so I said black is fine and gives a two-tone look to the rifles. This was a worthwhile project for me and the other owner.

Got a reply from Xtreme plated bullets on their 7.62x39 bullets. Out of stock, not being made now, going to R&D to improve them, maybe will be available at the end of 2022...darn it, they shoot extremely well in my RARR. I did suggest they make the flat point have a little more rounded edges for better feeding and told them how accurate the plated bullets are in my rifle.

Gaged the RARR for bbl wear and was shocked at the amount of wear the gage showed. It then occurred to me the temperature difference between my RARR on the black tailgate of my pickup for cleaning sitting in the sun and the cold gage just retrieved from my cold unheated shed. I let the gage sit on the tailgate a few minutes to get about the same temperature as the rifle and then gaged the bbl again. OK, that's better now.

Here's some mag well photos:

8E52178F-19F9-4507-8924-AECF0666A977.jpeg

5FC390AB-E1E6-4365-B47F-F91EE50C1AB0.jpeg
    1B7DE08D-C768-4392-92CE-19DF4A2C6418.jpeg
    130F73B6-501D-419C-87D3-4B974AC0FD18.jpeg

SAWMAN

Master
    Great ... GREAT info sir. Thank you for this.
    Now - -> got some thinking and figureing to do. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    I think that looks better than the origional Bruce.
    Good going.
    I now have an "extra" chrono that I will give you. Please remind me. --- SAWMAN

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    James,should have gotten a PATTERN MASTER.
    Read up on them. Been using the ported,extended,.620",and the "close range",in 12ga for some years now.
    Just got two more for my new Franchi 20ga.
    These chokes will make your shot "strings" drop from about 20' to ... A WAD that hits hard.
    Using my 18.5" Benelli M1 Super 90,and my hand loaded 1.5oz of #8 shot,can shread a crow at 60-70yds.
    They also make a extended/ported tube for large shot (high flying geese) and buckshot. Used for calling coyotes on the edge of frozen lakes in Maine. Using my Benelli,made clean kills at 70-80yds using a load of "BB" or #4buck.
    PATTERN MASTER IS PROVEN. --- SAWMAN

I did not know that waxing you wood counted as gun stuff.

Daezee

Master
    I think that looks better than the origional Bruce.
    Good going.
    I now have an "extra" chrono that I will give you. Please remind me. --- SAWMAN
    Note: the above only works on the later Ruger Americans. While one can remove the mag well on the first 7.62x39’s, Ruger redesigned its stock to not have to use a unique shaped mag well. That is my understanding.

Bet they never thought of people swapping mag wells to save $ over buying expensive Mini 30 mags.

Last edited:

kendive

Master
    While Daezee and I were up at my property we also played with these new reactive targets called FireBird BIO 50

You can set them off with Airguns and Archery

Can be found here. https://topshotdustin.com/shop/

Here is a video we made we stuck on onto the steel target you can hear the dong. I was shooting the FX Impact M3 .25 Airgun.

This is there promotional video.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Picked up 750 .400 125gr frangables and 500 .401 200gr. Hardcast coated- for hunting hogs. Lipstick for a pig! Loading some and then check for accuracy.

Attachments

• 20220114_124747.jpg
      20220114_124747.jpg
      245.1 KB · Views: 63
    • 20220114_125511_001.jpg
      20220114_125511_001.jpg
      307.3 KB · Views: 66
    • 20220114_173229.jpg
      20220114_173229.jpg
      251 KB · Views: 61

Daezee

Master
    One of the "jaws" on my Bonanza co-ax press (same as Forster co-ax as they bought out Bonanza) broke. That press has been used to load a gazillion rounds over the years. Midway had the part, so maybe I'll be back to loading late next week. Already got the tracking number, but UPS hasn't picked up the package yet.

Of course that meant the brass case was stuck in the sizing die. Got it out this morning. Whew!

Trading 3K small pistol primers for 3K Winchester large rifle that I need this afternoon.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    :) :) Do think things are really starting to look up.. :) :)

-- Went to the Lake County fairgrounds for a gun show.

-- Was able to get in the show early through stealth and guile.

-- Purchased 2 nicer guns that where either well under the price of ones on Gunbroker or did not exit on Gunbroker.

-- There were several more that tore at my very soul to get. Always nice to have to much then nothing to get.

-- The gun show was only 10 miles from my gun range so I got to live the dream of testing the guns on the way home.

-- Was able to purchase 3 (2 needed to test the guns purchased) different calibers of ammo in bulk quantities for less then the lowest price on ammoseek.

-- The 2 guns ran flawlessly.

Been more then a few years since I could purchase both guns with ammo at the same show and test the guns on the way home.

Last edited:

B52

Master
    One of the "jaws" on my Bonanza co-ax press (same as Forster co-ax as they bought out Bonanza) broke. That press has been used to load a gazillion rounds over the years. Midway had the part, so maybe I'll be back to loading late next week. Already got the tracking number, but UPS hasn't picked up the package yet.

Of course that meant the brass case was stuck in the sizing die. Got it out this morning. Whew!

Trading 3K small pistol primers for 3K Winchester large rifle that I need this afternoon.
    I can trade you.. Let me see if they are Winchester

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Traded for this today. Very pleased, thanks Mike!
    Some info.
    JTS AK12
    All the stuff they should have put on the Saiga.
    Rem screw in choke
    0-3 gas adjust. Heavy loads, med loads, light loads and 0 converts it to single shot...
    Also has cover on the action to keep crap out.
    Hinged top cover with rail and button release with locking button. Keeps it tight for red dot.
    5, 10 and drum capable. Saiga mags
    Chinese made..... norinco???
    Ak flip safety.
    Ramped iron sights, adjustable.
    Add a turkey choke and crap walmart #7.5 ammo becomes slugs. Over 25 feet and puts the shot wad inside a dillo. Make a splash at your next party....
    Very nice. This is really an unknown gem.
    Well dern Reb... now you've got me thinking I just can't live without one!

Top Bottom