• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Thanks for the link, and yeah looking at some of those there's definitely something out of whack with mine. I thought it looked weird, but it shot 121rds without any issues so I figured it must be some newfangled Ruger engineering I wasn't familiar with. Don't know if it was that way from the factory or the more likely scenario of me reassembling it wrong after that first field-strip.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Well the GR placement looks more normal now, a pic I took this morning compared to yesterday's pic shows it has apparently reset itself. Disassembled to clean it and everything looked as it should, so it must have "self-corrected" while I was shooting it yesterday. :confused:

2mcyj4g.jpg

Rapier

Marksman
    Congrats, practice, practice. So when are you going to move to an out and away area where you can have your own range in your back yard? It is a step in the progression.
    Ed

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Congrats, practice, practice. So when are you going to move to an out and away area where you can have your own range in your back yard? It is a step in the progression.
    Ed

Already got plans to move out and get some land to live and shoot on, but it's been difficult to find something close enough to civilization for my wife, that's got enough enough land for me to shoot on, and that doesn't cost WAY too much. Hopefully we'll be able to find something in the next 2-3 years.

As far as gun stuff, Sunday morning I woke up early, completely broke down my Blackdog open gun and cleaned it. I took the comp off the barrel and took a dremel burr bit to all of the carbon built up inside it, then I reinstalled the comp and put the gun back together. I also installed a 17lb mainspring while I had it apart (I think it had a 19lb in it prior). I plan on testing its reliability this coming weekend. While the loctite on the comp was curing, I took my backup gun to the range and finally got a chance to practice with the steel target I got from Jabs a couple weeks ago.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Congrats on the win!

I don't know how it is around you but land about 60-90 minutes of side of Houston can go pretty cheap. It might be a better compromise to live near(er) to the city and have ~10 acres on the outskirts to setup a range. Pretty easy to setup a nice little berm system if you find the right property plus if you let someone run hay or livestock, you probably qualify for a Agriculture tax exemption.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Up here in the hills (200 ft elevation) one can seldom sit outside for more than an hour without hearing gunfire. If the breeze is right, I can faintly hear the gun range 3.5 miles away. Love it.

Rapier

Marksman
    Already got plans to move out and get some land to live and shoot on, but it's been difficult to find something close enough to civilization for my wife, that's got enough enough land for me to shoot on, and that doesn't cost WAY too much. Hopefully we'll be able to find something in the next 2-3 years.

As far as gun stuff, Sunday morning I woke up early, completely broke down my Blackdog open gun and cleaned it. I took the comp off the barrel and took a dremel burr bit to all of the carbon built up inside it, then I reinstalled the comp and put the gun back together. I also installed a 17lb mainspring while I had it apart (I think it had a 19lb in it prior). I plan on testing its reliability this coming weekend. While the loctite on the comp was curing, I took my backup gun to the range and finally got a chance to practice with the steel target I got from Jabs a couple weeks ago.

Try RB-17, it is avalible on line. It appeared in an article in the Front Sight magazine back in the late 1980s as a reccomended cleaning agent for comp guns. You can actually clean the carbon out with a toothbrush. It disolves carbon, lead and copper, without damaging the steel. It removes all oil so you will need to relube the gunand protect the bore with a suitable lube.

I found a piece of property that bordered Eglin Reservation, you can use the reservarion as long as you do not build a structure on it. I created a narrow 100, 50 and 25 yard range with log berms and armor plate. Put in a falling plate rack, pepper poppers and a stop plate with wood stands for paper targets. It took a few years to find the land. Then the farm , a 40 acres square, took 6 years to find. Alabama dirt is easier to find and cheaper. But if you watch, most of the top shooters have built ranges in ther back yard on their own property. The cancentration without interuption is important, just as the easy and frequent practice.

Oh, in FL a tree farm has a special tax bracket. My taxes on 40 acres is $167 per year and the IRS allows a lot of maintinence write offs like a tractor, saws, trailers, sprays, etc.
    Ed

Last edited:

Rapier

Marksman
    I delivered one of the Aero sets I got from Little Jack, in a custom build that I did for the son in-law. The set screw trigger adjustment and Socom barrel in 1-8 twist shot well in tests and I loaned him one of my Gilmore 2 MOA sights. So he should have a good Christmas. Just got the notice from Optical Planet that they shipped the scope for this rifle, that I ordered, so I will get my loaned Gilmore back pretty quick.
    Ed

MarkS

Master
    Stopped by a friends house and he gave me a couple hundred pieces of 30-06 brass he saved Now to get them prepped and reloaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcolagunner

Master
    I put some .223 in the tumbler last night with the intention of taking it out this morning before work and totally forgot. Didn't remember until lunch today so I ran home (thankfully I live 5 min. from work) to take it out wondering if I might have hurt the brass in some way since it had been in there for 13 hours but WOW it looks good!! I had only been tumbling my brass for about 5 hours max but I think I'm going to start doing all my brass over night.

Daezee

Master
    I put some .223 in the tumbler last night with the intention of taking it out this morning before work and totally forgot. Didn't remember until lunch today so I ran home (thankfully I live 5 min. from work) to take it out wondering if I might have hurt the brass in some way since it had been in there for 13 hours but WOW it looks good!! I had only been tumbling my brass for about 5 hours max but I think I'm going to start doing all my brass over night.

It may burnout your tumbler motor sooner...it's happened to me.

Daezee

Master
    Yea, and I would imagine wear out my media faster but I liked the results.

Put in a quarter of a paper towel...it will take out quite a bit of dirt from the media and make it last at least twice as long. Some people put in a used dryer anti static sheet to pick up the dirt.

Top Bottom