What's your favorite defense round? (9mm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LemonHead

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Just picked up my first sub-compact (a Canik Tp9 elite SC). Just wondering what everyone likes for a self-defense round. I'm also curious about +p ammo in a shorter barrel, will it make any difference? Thanks in advance.

Fear21

Master
    I prefer either Speer Gold Dots or Federal HSTs, pretty much all I buy now for defense loads. I’ve used Hornady Critical Duty as well but my carry pistols don’t like it too much.

+P ammo in a shorter barrel should make up for a bit of the inherent velocity loss. Tradeoff is a bit more parts wear on a steady diet of +P stuff.

LemonHead

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    I prefer either Speer Gold Dots or Federal HSTs, pretty much all I buy now for defense loads. I’ve used Hornady Critical Duty as well but my carry pistols don’t like it too much.

+P ammo in a shorter barrel should make up for a bit of the inherent velocity loss. Tradeoff is a bit more parts wear on a steady diet of +P stuff.
    Makes sense on the wear and tear. So do you prefer +p or non +p for defense? This is all new to me.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Barnes TAC-XPD 9mm
    If I happen to be carrying 45- Federal HST or just Ball ammo. (I rarely cary my 45)
    If it's 22LR I likely already hate my life so just whatever cheep 22 I have loaded. (sometimes Punch or Stingers)

jettjon

Expert
    I'm actually the opposite. My opposition to shooting stuff like HST or Gold Dots is that they are wayyyy to expensive to practice with. So I test a whole bunch of lower tier stuff like Freedom Munitions with the XTP bullets, Aguilla and Fiocchi HP and so forth. Then I shoot the @#$@#@#$ out of it. They theory is,
    #1 Reliability is the absolute first critical factor in self defense and,
    #2 shot placement, shot placement, shot placement (paraphrasing Col. Cooper)

LemonHead

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    I agree to an extent, but if paying more means more consistent expansion then it would ease my mind a little in a need be situation. I watched a few videos but they are older so I wanted to ask around to see if there is anything new. Seems federal and Speer are the go to still. I’ve seen good reports on Sig’s V-Crown and thought about ordering some. Which is cheaper.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I agree to an extent, but if paying more means more consistent expansion then it would ease my mind a little in a need be situation. I watched a few videos but they are older so I wanted to ask around to see if there is anything new. Seems federal and Speer are the go to still. I’ve seen good reports on Sig’s V-Crown and thought about ordering some. Which is cheaper.
    Bass pro should have a few brands too.

ccc

Master
    I use Hornady critical defense, why ? Because I like the box, they look cool, and the name sounds bad @ss. Honestly that is why most use what they use, you can Google and see gel test and wound Chanel’s and ACTUALLY KNOW what performs best. When you ask ten folks you will get ten opinions with 9 of them not based on facts.

ccc

Master
    I'm actually the opposite. My opposition to shooting stuff like HST or Gold Dots is that they are wayyyy to expensive to practice with. So I test a whole bunch of lower tier stuff like Freedom Munitions with the XTP bullets, Aguilla and Fiocchi HP and so forth. Then I shoot the @#$@#@#$ out of it. They theory is,
    #1 Reliability is the absolute first critical factor in self defense and,
    #2 shot placement, shot placement, shot placement (paraphrasing Col. Cooper)
    Keep in mind the military uses ball ammo and kills HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people. So do 99% of gang bangers.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I've found the Sierra brand is priced reasonable. I have not shot any critters yet to verify how well they work. Seems like $14-16 a box of 20. 9mm may be cheaper.
    20240229_212219.jpg

sparky

Expert
    I have been shot. Hit by a 9mm, unknown brand or bullet type. It hurt like hell. Therefore I don't really think it matters what type of bullet you use it's gonna hurt like hell and stop you in your tracks. In my case not having a weapon to fire back with I ran like hell to get away live. The best bullet is the one you have in you carry piece. Which I constantly have on me now, never again will I feel helpless.

Themumfordman

Master
    I’m carrying either Federal HST 124 or 147 grain or IMI black tips, can’t remember what they call them offhand. I use pretty much all 124 in my 4” and longer barrel pistols, and 147 in the sub compacts and micros. Less muzzle rise equals faster follow ups for me at least and I can get more accurate rounds on target faster.

Word to the wise - do a TON of dry fire training, especially drawing from your holster in front of a mirror. Good ammo makes a huge difference, but training makes a lot more IMO.

LemonHead

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    I’m carrying either Federal HST 124 or 147 grain or IMI black tips, can’t remember what they call them offhand. I use pretty much all 124 in my 4” and longer barrel pistols, and 147 in the sub compacts and micros. Less muzzle rise equals faster follow ups for me at least and I can get more accurate rounds on target faster.

Word to the wise - do a TON of dry fire training, especially drawing from your holster in front of a mirror. Good ammo makes a huge difference, but training makes a lot more IMO.
    Thanks for the info on the grains, the canik is heavier than most SC handguns so it already is easy to follow up. But 147 would be smooth I’m sure.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place

add low light and weak hand practice too

RackinRay

Master
    12 gauge, but if in a light weight short barrel 9mm I like the SIG Crown V line as they are designed to expand reliably at the lower velocities in short barrels.

Never found a bad bullet made by Hornady, their Critical Defense is in the 7.65 pocket pistols.

Top Bottom