Liberty gun safes giving out master codes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Ahhhh. Ok. Yeah when I hear "master code" my mind thinks a single code to open all of a certain type of locks, like a master key per say. So it's unique for each individual safe?
    If so that's alot better than what I thought

It is most likely a limited number of codes. It would be very difficult to have a random code for each individual lock - but if you had 100 codes it is much easier to keep track of and program.

FLT

Master
    What ever you believe was the cause of their lack of integrity, is of course your business. But as for me I’ve been warned . If a company has your combination or a master code that will unlock you’re safe , well then it’s not very safe.
    This reminds me of the of the saying , it’s only a secret till you tell someone.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    It is most likely a limited number of codes.
    6 or 7 to the 10th power theoretically depending on how you look at it...2 have to be pressed simultaneously on an S&G so it is really 6. 1,000,000 theoretical combinations for a mechanical... 6,000,000 on an elock I think

M60Gunner

Master
    My right to protect my life and those of loved ones family and friends comes from my creator NOT the constitution. Besides, the articles of infinite confederation were enough for me, constitution is a roadmap to an ever growing all powerful central government.

IronBeard

Master
    Before a manager makes a decision based on fear they need to know the rights granted to them by the Constitution!
    Yes they do, but they fear "laws" more than the constitution. The constitution is just an old piece of paper. The law fines you, takes your stuff, puts you in jail, maybe "justifies" worse. I don't condone that, but I do understand. Unfortunately, "laws" are enacted at many levels, constitution be damned, and we are oppressed by them for decades. It's the law...

IronBeard

Master
    Ignorance is my guess. I do agree with the notion they should have known better and took better steps to safeguard info.
    Fear and ignorance feed one another to the extent they are mutually supporting, IMO.

IronBeard

Master
    My right to protect my life and those of loved ones family and friends comes from my creator NOT the constitution. Besides, the articles of infinite confederation were enough for me, constitution is a roadmap to an ever growing all powerful central government.
    Then I'm sure you're painfully aware our rights have been maintained on paper while our ability to exercise them has been amended and legislated away. Stated solely in hope others will notice, maybe question and verify for themselves.

zdhenderson

Shooter
    This will most likely be a very unpopular opinion I know.
    I am a strong supporter of the second amendment, prior law enforcement and have common sense.
    With that said, I would hope everyone in an uproar over this, realizes if the FBI, or any law enforcement agency whether it be city, county, state or federal, has a warrant to enter a structure (residence, business, building) or conveyance (vehicle) to search for a specific item(s) they have the right/duty to do so with force if necessary.
    With that said, if they are looking for something small, say a memory card from a camera or phone, they can literally search everywhere that is large enough to contain that memory card, even something as small as a match box. However, if they are looking for something larger, say a motorcycle, they can not look in anything smaller than that item such as a duffle bag or purse.
    If they have the warrant signed by a judge, what makes you think they can't get a subpoena that would only have to be signed by a prosecuting attorney. Most likely they won't be issued a subpoena until they serve the warrant and are refused entry or simply told by the owner he/she forgot the combination. At that point, they would most likely take possession of the safe and seek a subpoena for the combination to open it at a later time. Rest assured they will gain entry no matter what.
    All Liberty was doing at the time was complying with a request from law enforcement which their policy, at the time, allowed them to do.
    If it wasn't for it being part of Jan 6th, this would not have made the news.
    I understand now they have changed their policy since this incident and will require a subpoena, but that is just delaying the inevitable.
    If anyone wants to get rid of their liberty safe(s) let me know and I will take it off your hands for a small disposal fee.
    If you think Apple wouldn't comply because what you have seen on tv or the movies, think again.

FLT

Master
    I am a strong supporter of the second amendment, prior law enforcement and have common sense.
    With that said, I would hope everyone in an uproar over this, realizes if the FBI, or any law enforcement agency whether it be city, county, state or federal, has a warrant to enter a structure (residence, business, building) or conveyance (vehicle) to search for a specific item(s) they have the right/duty to do so with force if necessary.
    With that said, if they are looking for something small, say a memory card from a camera or phone, they can literally search everywhere that is large enough to contain that memory card, even something as small as a match box. However, if they are looking for something larger, say a motorcycle, they can not look in anything smaller than that item such as a duffle bag or purse.
    If they have the warrant signed by a judge, what makes you think they can't get a subpoena that would only have to be signed by a prosecuting attorney. Most likely they won't be issued a subpoena until they serve the warrant and are refused entry or simply told by the owner he/she forgot the combination. At that point, they would most likely take possession of the safe and seek a subpoena for the combination to open it at a later time. Rest assured they will gain entry no matter what.
    All Liberty was doing at the time was complying with a request from law enforcement which their policy, at the time, allowed them to do.
    I understand now they have changed their policy since this incident and will require a subpoena, but that is just delaying the inevitable.
    If anyone wants to get rid of their liberty safe(s) let me know and I will take it off your hands for a small disposal fee.
    If you think Apple wouldn't comply because what you have seen on tv or the movies, think again.
    Yes , that will be an unpopular opinion. But it’s your right to promote it . I find that most of the current crop of government enforcers share your beliefs. To serve and protect is a long forgotten attribute.

tros6t

Marksman
    Good comments but it also came out that they have contributed to Democrats who are less than pro 2a! Of course they are free to do so! And really at this point, does it matter that much! Everyone in Washington and anyone else with 5 functioning brain cells knows what happened in 2020! Those who believe otherwise are loyal CNN fans!
    I’ll stop there, for now!

B52

Master
    So errors in the co meant. The government is only legally allowed to search what is allowed in the warrant. If the safe isn't in the warrant then they have to ask for a warrant to allow for the safe. Yes an unlawful judge will allow it or a good judge be tricked. It's the companies failure to understand their business. They should be punished severely in the market place. It's nice of you to steal the safes of current owners.

blair_heavenwood

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Also:

Imagine not storing your firearms in Gorilla lockers in various monthly storage places all over Pensacola and Milton. Learn espionage fieldcraft gentlemen. Be paranoid and prepared.
    What is a "gorilla" locker? Seriously. I did an internet search and turned up nothing. Is that slang for a normal storage unit? #notafed

blair_heavenwood

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    you didn't have to change the mechanical lock to prevent this...all you needed to do was change the combination from what they sent it out with.
    I don't think you are correct here. I think some e-lock manufacturers (including the ones used by Liberty) have backdoor codes that will reset a lock. Every safe I see in the store has the generic 1-2-3-4-5-6 or something, so you set it when you get it home, but Liberty maintains a record of that serial number and has the "master key" code.

hallb

Expert
    maybe your master code is some formula based on the serial number so they don't need to store the master codes, just know the serial number? Only way in my mind to make this even remotely better is a program where you can get from them the master code for your safe and the instructions to change it. I know that would be hard for them to confirm it's actually your safe, but seems like something like that needs to be done.

IronBeard

Master
    Too many red flags to trust a company like that. No narcs.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I don't think you are correct here. I think some e-lock manufacturers (including the ones used by Liberty) have backdoor codes that will reset a lock. Every safe I see in the store has the generic 1-2-3-4-5-6 or something, so you set it when you get it home, but Liberty maintains a record of that serial number and has the "master key" code.
    Liberty generally uses either S&G or SecuRam electronic locks. Both have MRC codes programed and recorded for the serial # and yes, the MRC resets the combination to the factory default code of 123456.

They also maintain mechanical lock combination by ser #. It is the actual combination of the lock. All you would need to do with a mechanical lock is reset it to a different combination and the # they give them would be incorrect to open the container. To get by that on an elock you would have to change the lock body and not the key pad to one with a different MRC code or one that hasn't had an MRC programed. Once you program an MRC code it can't be removed from the lock and the electronic lock is non serviceable.

Top Bottom