• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    No, not that one. I hate those lol.
    Nate is littlejacksguns, he has the led for 400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

Marksman
    Oh haha, cabelas has the type 1's for 350ish trying to decide if I want that or the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Yesterday I dropped my Edge off at Greener Fields in Foley for Mark to drill some holes in the frame and mill the slide for a racker. Then I got home and got a message from a guy who ended up buying my extra open gun. I plan on shipping it out tomorrow.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    image403635-fc23125a6b94ecb7b39142f954e7c7e0.jpg

I just tried to order some purple .40 bullets, but I couldn't find a discount code and they didn't offer free shipping, so it killed the deal. I ended up going with Blue Bullets again since I got 5% off and free shipping.

Droshki

Master
    Finally finished this up. JJ pointed out this weekend that the sights were useless now, so red dot time.

16626.jpg

Attachments

• 16626.jpg
      16626.jpg
      146.4 KB · Views: 186

Daezee

Master
    Got a Ruger SR556 5.56 Takedown today. Been thinking about one for a long time, and with the help of a friend buying a rifle from me, and shopping around, I managed to close the deal on the Ruger. While not a LaRue MBT trigger pull, the 2 stage Ruger trigger is close...WAY better than a mil spec type trigger. Very pleased with the trigger; saves the expense of replacing it.

Nate had a potential group buy going on Independence 55gr 5.56 ammo. Price was nice, so I started reading review before I committed. It's made in Israel and imported by Federal. Basically the reviews broke down into 2 types. 1) Pressures were high, some primers blew out, and velocities were high with higher recoil. 2) It shot great with no problems. I then remembered my son-in-law just got a case of 500rds delivered (price was higher than the group buy). I called him and went over to his house to get a few rounds to do some very limited testing. I fired 1 shot in a LWRC AR, 1 shot in a MCX, and 1 shot in the new Ruger SR556. All those rifles have 5.56, not .223 chambers. I don't know that I even have a .223 chambered bbl. The Ruger was brand new; the others have been broken in.

In all cases, the fired primers looked fine, no excessive recoil, and empties went in a normal direction and distance. All rifles locked back on an empty magazine. The case fired with the Ruger did have an ejector mark on the case head, but no metal had flowed into the ejector hole. Like I said, it was very limited testing.

Now this is just speculation on my part, but I wonder if some of the people reporting high pressures were firing them in a .223 chamber? The lot number I tried (FC17C001-186) is different from the lot number of an earlier imported batch (FC16B001-169) with some high pressure signs. The box is marked "Only fire 5.56x45 mm ammunition in chambers designed for 5.56x45 mm ammunition". The box is also marked "5.56x45MM 55GR FMJ MUZ VEL 3165". People were reporting higher velocities from the earlier batch out of 20" bbls than 3165fps. To help hold down the cost, the 20rds per cardboard box are loose inside the box; no stripper clips or slots or dividers holding the rounds apart.

Based on my limited test, I'd go in on the group buy, but alas, the distributor offering a good deal to Nate has sold out. Headstamp is "FC" at 12 o'clock, "17" at 6 o'clock, and a variety of numbers at 3 and 9 o'clock, such as "1", "14", "7", "23", ect, ect. Primer is boxer with a medium crimp.

In lieu of receiving the BCM Mid-16 Mod 2 that I won, I had pondered about getting a tape switch for the Surefire M600IB weaponlight. Last night, I broke down and ordered a SUREFIRE DS07 waterproof tape switch assembly along with a Cloud Defensive tape switch mount (LCSmk1a) for it. I also ordered a BCM GUNFIGHTER Kinesthetic Angled Grip (KAG) as well. Hopefully, my heel will be healed up enough in another month or so that will allow me to get to the range and shoot this thing.

kendive

Master
    Daezee and I met up at my property and did a little shooting in this hot weather. He tried out his new Ruger SR556 5.56 Takedown and sighted in the scope on it and I played with my HK UMP .45 with my second .45 Suppressor the AAC Ti-Rant at first it was causing the POI to be off to the left by a fair amount. So on the instructions it states you can clock per say the suppressor. So I removed all the baffles and aligned all the ports on them to be in the same direction and then marked the outside of the can and the piston that has the threads with some torque seal so I can keep track of where I am at with the baffle ports.

Well luck just stuck out well today because what ever I did with the alignment of the baffles and the can it was pretty much dead on maybe a little high but for me free hand shooting the UMP I was happy with the results.

See pics below:

LWwAXXI.jpg

Ul4MYu7.jpg

Ct3HGxd.jpg

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    The wife and I went to Little Jacks Guns aka Nate to pick up her coach gun. She got to fill out her first 4473

Gas Port

Master
    20170730_161727.jpeg

Just got back from my crack dealer he fixed me up with some 45 auto rim brass and speed loaders for my S&W model 25. Won't have to use 45 acp moon clips anymore.

Attachments

• 20170730_161727.jpeg
      20170730_161727.jpeg
      226 KB · Views: 140

Gas Port

Master
    20170730_162722.jpeg

Got some slide rackers for a couple of my 45 slides. It will make it easy to open the slide since I started using my new frame mounted scope mount.

Attachments

• 20170730_162722.jpeg
      20170730_162722.jpeg
      142.4 KB · Views: 145

wildrider666

Master
    Shooting Simulators at WonderWorks, Panama City Beach! Took the Grand kids to WonderWorks today, I had not been inside in over 4 years.
    One of the attractions (Adult or Senior ticket required) has two seperate shooting simulators. The first is a mockup H-60 with Four open gun windows: one MG and three ARs (with red dot scopes) The SIM is basically fly over support for a Convoy. "D" type targets are used as hostiles and there are all manner of other threats/targets to blast as the SIM progresses. When that done you get off, move ten feet and now your in two person Teams at another SIM that puts your in the back of a open bed truck in the Convoy armed with a 1911! Every roof, nook and cranny has a BG, mechanicals with heavy weapons intercept you, motorcycles threats come up beside you while it rains RPGs. For a civ amusment I've got to give it a 10 out of 10! Grandson jumped on the MG and it was dark, so I never saw what it was; M60 probably, ARs were SA but you could "bump action" the trigger and really sling rounds.

There is a lot to do there, you can check it online. Tickets are cheaper Online and a better deal can he gotten through Mil Base Rec/travel/ticket office for folks with access. Senior (60+) and child tickets are the same price. Spent 4 hours there, could have done more.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    My wife told me Friday that she had an extra bookshelf in her classroom that happened to be the same as the one in my gun room. I picked it up on the way home from work, which led to an impromptu cleaning/partial reorganization of the room between Friday evening and Saturday morning. I feel like it's never completely clean, but it's a whole lot better now than it was.

Yesterday I made the drive up/over to Dothan for the 6 stage classifier match. If my calculations and classifiercalc.com are correct, I should be at 78% (A) when the next update comes through. I also shot my first Master level classifier at approximately 85.46%.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Given the forecast for the next few days, my wife suggested that I may want to go to the range today instead of waiting until this weekend. I plan on verifying the zero on my competition AR, mainly.

I'm also going to re-zero my open guns with my old 124gr ammo. I've had a rash of problems lately with the 115gr bullets coming out of the case while on the way into the chamber. It started out as just blazer brass, but the last couple rounds have been other headstamps. It has cost me a chance at a win in the Jabs Shoot-off, some time at the MS State Open Championship, and most recently a good classifier score on Fluffy's Revenge 1 this past weekend. Since I loaded all of this ammo months ago and it is all mixed together, I have no way of knowing what rounds may be bad.

Given that, I'm just going to go back to my 124gr ammo that has proven to be reliable, even though I like the recoil impulse of the 115gr better. The rest of the 115gr ammo will be relegated to practice duty for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom