• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Took out my Ballard Hi Wall 30-40 Krag to begin resighting it in. Hadn't resighted it since cataract surgery a few years ago (most firearms needed tweaking of the sights following my cataract surgery). Only did 35yd today, but indeed it needed a slight tang sight adjustment. Got about 140 rounds of frangible bullets loaded for it left and then I'm switching back to cast bullets for greater longer range accuracy. Looked in my gun notes and still had the data for the accurate cast bullet load I'd worked up for it years ago and it's a bullet that I currently cast for use in other 30 cal rifles.

Bid on a No 5 Mk 1 303 British "jungle carbine"...just notified I won the No 5 Mk 1!

SAWMAN

Master
    Got another project "brewing" involving a single shot 12ga and a older style Cutts Compensator.
    Chop to a little over 16. "PERMANENTLY " attach the adjustable, finger part of the comp,then screw on the brake part.
    The comp is attached to the OUTSIDE of the bbl,but hopefully ... no threading just "thinning". --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Images are a short piece of "trial" bbl.
    31448.jpeg
    31446.jpeg

SAWMAN

Master
    These comps have multiple settings,from full to cyl bore and anywhere in between.
    Important is the fact that there is NO inside threading involved and no chokes or tube wrench needs to be carried.
    Bad news - -> I really doubt if the choke can be screwed down tight enough to equal a "turkey full". But there was no such thing back in the old days.
    It does have a "FULL" setting though. ---- SAWMAN

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    These comps have multiple settings,from full to cyl bore and anywhere in between.
    Important is the fact that there is NO inside threading involved and no chokes or tube wrench needs to be carried.
    Bad news - -> I really doubt if the choke can be screwed down tight enough to equal a "turkey full". But there was no such thing back in the old days.
    It does have a "FULL" setting though. ---- SAWMAN
    SAWMAN.....I'm wondering just how much "turkey full" is just marketing gimmick. Somehow I don't think the folks back in the old days missed out on any turkeys because they were only shooting "full" and not "turkey full." Your project looks cool.

SAWMAN

Master
    FULL ---- .695"
    EXTRA FULL ---- .685"
    SUPER FULL ---- .675"
    These are exit diameters.
    SInce the shotguns beguinning,"FULL" was the tightest constriction you could get. It is installed/milled/cut into the longer bbls. Typically for ducks and geese.
    Screw in (both internal and external) were not produced. Then came the POLY CHOKE and CUTTS COMP. Even these two innovations only came in full to (in some cases) cyl bore.
    Shotguns killed geese,ducks,pheasant, and 40yd turkey using full.
    Most hunters nowadays shoot at the main body of a turkey. Using the fuller than full choke constrictions,hunters should be targeting the head neck area at 40yds. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    I’ve got that set up on a 20 gauge, I think all its been used for is snakes. It does an outstanding job on water moccasins.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Got another project "brewing" involving a single shot 12ga and a older style Cutts Compensator.
    Chop to a little over 16. "PERMANENTLY " attach the adjustable, finger part of the comp,then screw on the brake part.
    The comp is attached to the OUTSIDE of the bbl,but hopefully ... no threading just "thinning". --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Images are a short piece of "trial" bbl.
    View attachment 151513View attachment 151514
    Nice, might be a good mod for my tactical 12ga single shot. Let us know how it shakes out.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    My Midway order came in today! Put the thread adapter on my M&P22 and got this little holster for it.
    tempImaged8ghIt.jpg

Now I just need my suppressor to be released to me.

tempImageWNhBso.jpg

Daezee

Master
    Loaded a small batch (20) of cast bullet loads for my Hi Wall 30-40, just to shoot and make sure its old cast bullet load is still good in that rifle before I load a bigger batch.

Loaded 3 different cast 303 British loads for testing my "jungle carbine" No 5 Mk 1 when it arrives next week.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Finely picked up my toys from FrankT via SAWMAN. Also stapler from navCorman! That's going into my Bride's "when Biden crashes the economy" kit. Great visit today Bill.
    Big, huge thanks gentlemen!!
    @FrankT
    @SAWMAN
    @NavCorman

Attachments

• 20220217_201838.jpg
      20220217_201838.jpg
      430.4 KB · Views: 56
    Last edited:

Raven

Master
    I mean it was just sitting there lonely, so I figured I'd pair it up with some buddies
    I ruined a surplus metal AK 30 rounder by leaving it loaded for about two months. It was a known good mag before that too. Apparently the spring pressure was too much for the soft junk metal in the feed lips, and the feed lips warped, causing jams at the next range trip, with just that one mag that had been left loaded

Top Bottom