• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Man that looks like fun.
    The setup took a little work... a week of looking at property maps, surveying, getting the nerve up to get out on "Gator Island" (problem being that it's the size of a dining table, and I would be bent over with both hands occupied while setting up the frame, and NOBODY within hollerin' distance! : ), marking, trimming a tree line back. But now, I can step out the back door, take two shots, and go back in for a grand total of less than fifty cents... and that's with GOOD ammo! : )

Well, I SAY fifty cents, but that's not counting the gas I burn if I have to go change the target out... YES, it's easier (and SAFER) to drive around the swamp to get there! But you know you're bad when you have to take the car to swap out your .22 target!

Already had 50' and 40 yard distances set up for years, and got the 100 yard setup done about 6 months ago, so... but I guess 200 is the max limit, and it's only good for .22 since I'm not interested in building a heavier backstop out there : )

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    The setup took a little work... a week of looking at property maps, surveying, getting the nerve up to get out on "Gator Island" (problem being that it's the size of a dining table, and I would be bent over with both hands occupied while setting up the frame, and NOBODY within hollerin' distance! : ), marking, trimming a tree line back. But now, I can step out the back door, take two shots, and go back in for a grand total of less than fifty cents... and that's with GOOD ammo! : )

Well, I SAY fifty cents, but that's not counting the gas I burn if I have to go change the target out... YES, it's easier (and SAFER) to drive around the swamp to get there! But you know you're bad when you have to take the car to swap out your .22 target!

Already had 50' and 40 yard distances set up for years, and got the 100 yard setup done about 6 months ago, so... but I guess 200 is the max limit, and it's only good for .22 since I'm not interested in building a heavier backstop out there : )
    Very nice. Put some steel up. 8 inch, 4 inch and 2 inch.

DustyDog

Master
    OK now I see it DustyDog. It might be blurry as it's 125%.

Is this more visible?

View attachment 152864
    Yep, that's it!

I already knew that optical zoom appears to compress the depth-of-field, and it appears that even digitally zooming in on a pic does the same, so I didn't want to post ONLY a zoomed pic since the target appears closer than it is, but I should have posted both since the zoom available on GCGF is minimal : )

I cut the file size WAY down (from over 8MB to less than 1MB) for the one I posted since I didn't want to be a hog, but with the original pic on a 19" monitor you can easily enlarge it to see the white outline of the target frame/backstop, which is 15"w x 22"h. It holds cardboard inserts of 13"w x 20"h, leaving the white outline, and the actual target is a 3" orange dot, which is not quite visible, since the Sun was getting in front of the camera when I took the pic.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Picked up my No5 Mk1 "jungle carbine" today. Looks even better in person than in the auction. Made Feb 1945. Bore was described as bright and shiny with sharp rifling, and I agree with that description. Numbers matching. Walnut stock. Came with 2 magazines, and both fit and feed fine. Rubber butt pad is hard, but with my moderate loads I don't foresee recoil problems.

Patches are still coming out dirty with green copper fouling after 4 hours. I coat the bore and let the solvent do its thing, taking sometimes a few days if needed to get it clean for cast bullet shooting. I intend to shoot cast bullets and already have 3 test loads ready to go. It came with a stamped No5 Mk1 rear sight instead of the finely machined click adjustable elevation No5 Mk1 rear sight. If need be, No5 Mk1 click adjustable machined rear sights are in the $42-$75 range. I'll see how it shoots as-is. My Canadian No4 also has a stamped rear sight, and it works just fine.

It was a consignment gun put on auction with the story that the family bought it 40 years ago and used it for hunting, so I was hoping it'd not been shot much or abused...I feel it met that criteria.

0B12A6E8-AA10-44F3-A08D-9B18892617AB.jpeg
    C3AA75C5-215B-40D4-A0D0-A6E0D4534C67.jpeg
    CF902011-1C96-4589-B9C0-F8CAC47712D9.jpeg
    2CFC1847-6197-451A-A133-B47A88B58D78.jpeg
    79E78BD5-44D4-45B6-A296-E6B81A2ED671.jpeg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Picked up my No5 Mk1 "jungle carbine" today. Looks even better in person than in the auction. Made Feb 1945. Bore was described as bright and shiny with sharp rifling, and I agree with that description. Numbers matching. Walnut stock. Came with 2 magazines, and both fit and feed fine. Rubber butt pad is hard, but with my moderate loads I don't foresee recoil problems.

Patches are still coming out dirty with green copper fouling after 4 hours. I coat the bore and let the solvent do its thing, taking sometimes a few days if needed to get it clean for cast bullet shooting. I intend to shoot cast bullets and already have 3 test loads ready to go. It came with a stamped No5 Mk1 rear sight instead of the finely machined click adjustable elevation No5 Mk1 rear sight. If need be, No5 Mk1 click adjustable machined rear sights are in the $42-$75 range. I'll see how it shoots as-is. My Canadian No4 also has a stamped rear sight, and it works just fine.

It was a consignment gun put on auction with the story that the family bought it 40 years ago and used it for hunting, so I was hoping it'd not been shot much or abused...I feel it met that criteria.

View attachment 152970View attachment 152971View attachment 152972View attachment 152973View attachment 152974
    Would be a good deer rifle.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    That Carbine is really really clean. Very nice. I have been looking for one of those that had the bayonet lugs removed. Getting 2 magazines is a real nice bonus. Makes you want to look for an Enfield without a magazine. :)

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    It's looking clean now. When I got it, there was dust in all the nooks and crannies like it'd been sitting and not touched for quite a while. Good ole toothbrush and q-tips got that out. Yes, two mags that both work was a bonus and both are military, not aftermarket. Neither have serial numbers on them. If I'm reading the maker's marks on the mags correctly, one was made by Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley (the maker of my No5) and one was made by Savage.

I'd been looking for a nice correct No5 to go with my No1 and No4's. Most had "issues" or I was outbid/couldn't afford it. I might look for some of the chargers (stripper clips) so I can have fun loading the rifles via chargers the way they were meant to be loaded.

Hmmm...might be able to get another Enfield cheaper if it's missing a magazine...that's a good thought you had.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    It's looking clean now. When I got it, there was dust in all the nooks and crannies like it'd been sitting and not touched for quite a while. Good ole toothbrush and q-tips got that out. Yes, two mags that both work was a bonus and both are military, not aftermarket. Neither have serial numbers on them. If I'm reading the maker's marks on the mags correctly, one was made by Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley (the maker of my No5) and one was made by Savage.

I'd been looking for a nice correct No5 to go with my No1 and No4's. Most had "issues" or I was outbid/couldn't afford it. I might look for some of the chargers (stripper clips) so I can have fun loading the rifles via chargers the way they were meant to be loaded.

Hmmm...might be able to get another Enfield cheaper if it's missing a magazine...that's a good thought you had.
    If you need a few Enfield chargers let me know I have several and the price will be so low you will think they are free

Buy the way a friend of mine one time when ordering parts for an AR build got an extra AR charging handle by mistake and then had to build another AR for it.. A kinda costly freebee

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    If you need a few Enfield chargers let me know I have several and the price will be so low you will think they are free

Buy the way a friend of mine one time when ordering parts for an AR build got an extra AR charging handle by mistake and then had to build another AR for it.. A kinda costly freebee
    Well, after I buy gas to drive from the Panhandle to Orlando and back, I might be better off just ordering some. :) They seem to be in the $2.50 to $3 range. Yep the old I have an extra part, so I might as well build a gun around it thing...many of us have been there!

DustyDog

Master
    @Daezee what copper cleaner turns green
    See? Here we go... (I was already thinking about this)

I'm NOT THE EXPERT, but green is what I see when cleaning up after corrosive ammo. AND, if I understand correctly, some copper-removal solvents are corrosive... any possible connection to either in this case?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    See? Here we go... (I was already thinking about this)

I'm NOT THE EXPERT, but green is what I see when cleaning up after corrosive ammo. AND, if I understand correctly, some copper-removal solvents are corrosive... any possible connection to either in this case?
    i don't normally clean up after corrosive ammo. when i clean copper from my guns with the many solvents i have on hand it is always blue. i just wondered if he was using a different product than I am familiar with...no real conspiracy going on.

Top Bottom