• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    A bit too much case stretch. Didvthe brass have a shinney ring around the separation area? Gotta cull the herd Cowboy! Lol.

It was once fired brass, so case stretch wasn't the issue. No ring around the separation area.

The issue was loading 9 major in a stepped case. The already high pressure is increased due to the reduced case volume (and the brass is possible weaker around that stepped point?). It's a known issue for loading 9 major, which is why I sort the stepped cases out of all of my once fired brass. I guess I just missed one.

I was told yesterday that I can setup my 1050's swaging station to catch any of these that slip through, but I've got to do more research as to how exactly that works.

wildrider666

Master
    Wow. I had not seen or herd of internally stepped cases before. Did a check and found 9mm FM, IMT and MAXXTECH produce them, may be more. Didn't see a confirmed reason for the step but common opinion was to stop bullet set-back. It seems the step is too far back considering bullet design and powder. Possibly impact extrusion process but I don't know why they would not taper the result.

I'm learning new tricks, Woof!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Wow. I had not seen or herd of internally stepped cases before. Did a check and found 9mm FM, IMT and MAXXTECH produce them, may be more. Didn't see a confirmed reason for the step but common opinion was to stop bullet set-back. It seems the step is too far back considering bullet design and powder. Possibly impact extrusion process but I don't know why they would not taper the result.

I'm learning new tricks, Woof!

AMMOLOAD is another headstamp to look out for. Someone told me this morning that they experienced some separations using AMMOLOAD stepped brass even when loaded to minor PF. I personally have never had any trouble with any stepped case loaded minor, but apparently it can happen.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Have you ever knocked an ejecting empty mag back into the gun with the full mag that was supposed to go in the gun? I just did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rick1967

Shooter
    Of course. I never had one going off on me during the reloading but I am paying much more attention now when I handle the loaded rounds

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Of course. I never had one going off on me during the reloading but I am paying much more attention now when I handle the loaded rounds
    Definitely. I've tumbled live rounds with federal primers, then spun them around in the media separator (albeit slowly), but now I'll definitely reconsider.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Famine

Master
    Readied my Ruger American 300 AC with my Surefire SOCOM suppressor for the woods tomorrow. Have it zeroed at 100 yds with Barnes Vortex 110 gr - normally use my .270 or .308 but heck why not!

SAWMAN

Master
    If you are talking a RARR w/ 16.5" bbl,shooting the Barnes 110gr "Black Tips", . . . . it will just bounce off.
    But really, . . . . . it will work,and work great if you put that great bullet where it is supposed to be. Mine works great and see some of Daezee's past hunting posts. Bruce has killed multiple deer with his and my biggest hog with mine was a 225 pounder.
    Good hunting. ----SAWMAN

Famine

Master
    Got to go to Robertsdale this am to pick up meat and put it in the freezer - then off to camp to hunt for the weekend Sawman - yup that's what I will be hunting with for the first time. Got it topped with a Zeiss Duralyte 3 x 12 x 56. Will post in hunting section should I have a positive result.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    A little pre-Christmas work done to the wifes M&P...
    Before
    2363522c2894e3ead95c59679ca7546f.jpg

After
    93ac7d9282cfff683f3361dd58daefeb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom