• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    My gun wears a Zeiss also. It is a 2-7X32 Terra model. It is a great shooter. I can see that as I get older this will most likely be my only deer/hog gun. ---SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC01068.JPG
      DSC01068.JPG
      291 KB · Views: 272

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    If anyone wants to shoot the IDPA match this coming Sunday but doesn't have the gear, I can supply at least 1 person (probably 2) with a complete Glock rig, ready to shoot. All you'll need to supply is factory 9mm ammo (bring 200 rounds), a sturdy belt, and some form of concealment (vest, button up shirt, jacket, etc.).

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    As easy as it is for me to spend hundreds of dollars on primers, powder, and bullets by the thousands, it just pains me to buy a few boxes of carry/HD ammo every year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rapier

Marksman
    Stopped by to see a long time customer and traveling partner. He was out for a while but his manager asked if I was there to picknup his Franchi 20ga 48AL with the broken stock. No, he did not call. So he retrives the little 20 and sure enough, the forend is shattered, split lengthwise at 4 places. Happened when his grandson shot it one time. I can take it and see if it is reparable if you want, so away the little gun goes, with the admonition to not spend any money on it.

Got it to the shop, cleaned up the forearm and started the repair process. After I got the acraglass into the cracks and splits with the surgical tubing wrapped and tied, it was put aside to setup. I started on some obvious problems with metal, mag tube, action, trigger group, etc. Got near the end, cleanin the barrel and felt the locking block on the chamber end of the barrel turn in my hand, woah. Stuck the block in the padded vice and looked close, discovered the extractor grooves in the barrel and in the block were badly out of alignment. This could have stopped the bolt from going into battery. It could well have been what caused the forend to shatter if it fired out of battery. Dangerous, so it is going back to its owner to be returned to Franchi. They have had several incidents of forend shattering events over the years. Usually the incident occours from not having the forend mounted properly, tight to the action. Their customer service is good and I do believe they will repair / replace the barrel and forend. Repairing a firearm is only good to a point, when you find a serious defect, return the firearm to the maker right away.
    Ed

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Stopped by to see a long time customer and traveling partner. He was out for a while but his manager asked if I was there to picknup his Franchi 20ga 48AL with the broken stock. No, he did not call. So he retrives the little 20 and sure enough, the forend is shattered, split lengthwise at 4 places. Happened when his grandson shot it one time. I can take it and see if it is reparable if you want, so away the little gun goes, with the admonition to not spend any money on it.

Got it to the shop, cleaned up the forearm and started the repair process. After I got the acraglass into the cracks and splits with the surgical tubing wrapped and tied, it was put aside to setup. I started on some obvious problems with metal, mag tube, action, trigger group, etc. Got near the end, cleanin the barrel and felt the locking block on the chamber end of the barrel turn in my hand, woah. Stuck the block in the padded vice and looked close, discovered the extractor grooves in the barrel and in the block were badly out of alignment. This could have stopped the bolt from going into battery. It could well have been what caused the forend to shatter if it fired out of battery. Dangerous, so it is going back to its owner to be returned to Franchi. They have had several incidents of forend shattering events over the years. Usually the incident occours from not having the forend mounted properly, tight to the action. Their customer service is good and I do believe they will repair / replace the barrel and forend. Repairing a firearm is only good to a point, when you find a serious defect, return the firearm to the maker right away.
    Ed

Funny we posted about gun problems at nearly the same time. I've got an email in to the manufacturer of the open gun. They have a warranty that stays with the gun, no matter the owner. The previous owner recently had the slide replace for cracking in the same spot, so hopefully they'll cover the full cost of repair/replacement. At the very least, they will repair or replace it at their cost. I'm just happy that it happened now and not during the middle of a busy major match season. I can stand to be without a back up for a month or so.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I also mailed my check for the Jabs Extreme Steel Target Challenge yesterday (today). Shooting Irons on Saturday morning, Open on Sunday morning.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Dang sorry to see/hear that slide cracked. It almost looks like the comp doesn't have any space between it and the slide, is that the case? The BEno's verse says there should be a .002-.003 clearance to prevent battering.

Awfully nice on the warranty program! That'd be a pretty expensive fix otherwise. Is that the Blackdog or the new gun?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Dang sorry to see/hear that slide cracked. It almost looks like the comp doesn't have any space between it and the slide, is that the case? The BEno's verse says there should be a .002-.003 clearance to prevent battering.

Awfully nice on the warranty program! That'd be a pretty expensive fix otherwise. Is that the Blackdog or the new gun?

It's my new/backup gun, built by Freedom Gunworks. There may be about .001" clearance, but not much at all.

wildrider666

Master
    It's my new/backup gun, built by Freedom Gunworks. There may be about .001" clearance, but not much at all.

That Sux, even more so since its the second time with that gun! I don't see any lockup wear (or know how that comp/barrel does it) creating stress at that spot. Probably too little metal for too big a job . Like women: pretty can be high maintenance. Lol

Rapier

Marksman
    The Franchi went back to the factory today. Owner was very happy to see what was wrong with the shotgun he had given his grandson to use. He was in fact very concerned after the forend shattered in his grandson's hand and he could not see or figure out what was wrong. So I am happy with the discovery of the loose locking extension.

I will repair it if necessary, but doubt that will be required, I want to give the maker an oppertunity to do the repair.
    Ed

Daezee

Master
    Received my PSA on sale upper w/FN CHF, CMV steel, double chrome lined 10.5" 300 Blackout bbl. I'm basically a sucker for such FN bbls. This makes 3 FN AR bbls I own of such construction and have gotten fine accuracy and slow wear out of my 1st two.

capt.joe

Master
    Met a guy with a tracking point Ar10 today. Had all the bells and whistles including virtual glasses bluetoothed (i think) to the scope. Impressive!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Met a guy with a tracking point Ar10 today. Had all the bells and whistles including virtual glasses bluetoothed (i think) to the scope. Impressive!

pricey optics for sure....you see it used?

Top Bottom