• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditchdoctor81

Shooter
    We just went to Coin & Bullion Reserve in Panama City today & my son (6 years old) just bought his first gold & silver with his own money he has saved. He got a 1/10th oz Gold American Eagle & a Silver Eagle, both in his birth year. Pretty cool I thought. I picked up 5 Silver Eagles & a Philharmonic for myself. I try to pick up something from there every time we are in PC.

shootnstarz

Master
    Yessir, start him out early, 6 year old investor, I love it !

Went and picked up 10 more myself today and some 90%ers. At worse they'll always be worth a buck, unlike that paper I bought them with.

Rick

Ric-san

Master
    Rick...So you go to Emerald Coast Coins, huh...??? I met the owner metal detecting a few years ago at the beach...he also has a store in Milton which is run by his daughter, my neighbor...I'm in pretty good with her (hehehe), her husband was a Marine who worked for me as a student back in the day...small world. Scored around 100 silver coins this year, (10) 90% and the balance (90) were 40%'ers at face value....

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    Yep, been doing a lot of trading with them lately, seem fair enough. If that was his daughter working in there the other day, yeowzer, Shez pretty !

I traded them most of my collectables for Eagles and 90%ers. Also traded in all my 40%ers, not a big kennedy fan.

Also did some business with Roberts and Roberts. I get a little better price but you have to make an appointment and you don't get to pick your 90%ers, at least a peon like me didn't. I will continue to go to ECC for them.

Also picked up a couple of small gold Eagles, nothing like laying out 2 to 5 hundred and carrying your purchase home in a tiny little ziplock.

Rick

Ric-san

Master
    I learned yrs ago from my metal detecting that once found precious metal is precious metal...(i.e silver or gold rings), So I dont really trade them myself, the value is in the metal. That said, I'm quite happy with any silver coin as it will always be worth way more than face value...yep I score pretty big at the local coin show each year, this year it was in a gold coin...

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    My intent is not to keep any coins worth more than their metal content, plus the small added value of actually being a US coin, which helps a great deal in verifying it authenticity.

I want something to trade for food when the dollar collapses and old Elmer down the road that raises chickens to sell will sure as hell know what a silver dime or quarter looks like. Silver is also consumed in industry and much of what has already been mined is lost forever.

Sometime I'd like to have a long disscussion about metal detecting, something that has interested me for a while. Not only precious metals interest me but some meteorites are more valuable than gold per ounce.

Rick

BigDaddy

Master
    My intent is not to keep any coins worth more than their metal content, plus the small added value of actually being a US coin, which helps a great deal in verifying it authenticity.

I want something to trade for food when the dollar collapses and old Elmer down the road that raises chickens to sell will sure as hell know what a silver dime or quarter looks like. Silver is also consumed in industry and much of what has already been mined is lost forever.

Sometime I'd like to have a long disscussion about metal detecting, something that has interested me for a while. Not only precious metals interest me but some meteorites are more valuable than gold per ounce.

Rick

Rick, I have given much thought to hyperinflation and such, me being Elmer I wouldn't give u a chicken for a gold or silver coin, this being said I am putting my investments in ammo, seeds preferably heirloom seeds, dry goods. Something to think about. My friend and I are like minded and he was saving silver and we got to this same conclusion, but to each their own. I was an avid collector and bought a silver coin every year they came out and remember paying 15.00 for a liberty now they are double that. It is a good investment for a cash based economy. But when u barter tangible goods are worth more in my opinion. Talk to you soon. Btw I have yard eggs every day if you ever need any

shootnstarz

Master
    This is true, but gold and silver have been currency for 5000 years. Yes, Elmer may not sell a chicken for gold or silver but somebody somewhere will, and I will stand a better chance of getting one with the metal than with the paper I bought it with.

In reality, nobody knows what scenario could unfold, could be one where a can of tomato soup is priceless, or one where paper money is burned to keep warm. I would like to cover as many bases as possible. And who can say who will do what in any given scenario, Elmer may need to buy chicken feed from somebody that already has chickens but will accept silver.

I understand your point and have had this debate many times. The metal is just a supplement to the items you mentioned. It certainly is not the only plan I have. Substainable seed is a huge part of any preppers supplies, as are hand tools, canning/preserving supplies and items with which to defend said supplies. I prefer a Samuri sword. Banzii !!!!

Rick

Last edited:

Ric-san

Master
    Precious metal is called precious metal for a reason....Yes, someone will trade some eggs or seed for silver if in a barter situation... He may need something down the road and silver will always be silver. Division of labor will always provide a basis for trade in any future we may have...

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    All have value! Metals will become a factor a little further down the road once the new norm has set in. Gotta eat before that tho.

Me I'm long on shit paper and hooch!!

shootnstarz

Master
    No problem, obviously nobody wants to sell silver coins so let's get something out of it. It's always good to hear other's plans for when TSHTF.

Rick

BigDaddy

Master
    Ha, so you'll just be undead? Just put on a homing device when they come and before u are undead push the button. Ill come take you out of your misery, after I empty your house of 2 ply and beer

Hunkyfish

Master
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    I think I'm ready,,, LOL
    Prepardness.jpg

Attachments

• Prepardness.jpg
      Prepardness.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 40

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Look I am old, I will die so very little prep for me, I have enough to be comfortable while shooting it out with robust enjoyment! I have nothing to lose so be forewarned!

Top Bottom