• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    OK, time for a brilliant display of auto-ignorance... but what exactly is a "slugged motor"?

Seanpcola

Engines that have never seen an oil or filter change. That crap turns to peanut butter consistency, blocks oil passages, generally fills your engine with mud and then ........seize.

Ryan

Master
    I'm getting a check for the price of the Truck, taxes, fees, etc. cut today. Glad this nightmare is over.

This is engine slug. sludge.jpg

Attachments

• sludge.jpg
      sludge.jpg
      267.6 KB · Views: 164

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter

Ryan

Master
    that wasn't the engine on the Titan that was just google. but 46k and they said that oil couldn't pass inside the driver's side of the engine because it was literally blocked.

Stanley has a 2012 370Z and 2014 Nissan Titan for me to look at. Just tossed on spending 25k+ for a newer truck that will sit at the pier from june 2016-june 2019 since ill be gone underway. The 370Z would be fun but obviously not practical but is way cheaper and allows me to just pay it off in 2 months. we'll see. It's either a Titan or i'll get a small car.

MAXman

Master
    Don't compromise on the 4X4 man.

I fell for the "you never really need it argument" on a new 1500 back in 03 to save a few bucks. Then I got stuck in my flat wet grass! Wheels just spun and spun with no traction. Had to call my wife to come home from work and tow me out. She taunted me with the fact she wouldn't have been "stuck" in wet grass in her 4x4 Pathfinder and that a real truck wouldn't get stuck in wet grass. A few weeks later I got "stuck" on a boat ramp trying to pull my boat out. Once again the tires just spun and spun and was towed off the ramp by a 4x4 F150.

I felt humiliated and traded it in on a 4x4 to repair my bruised ego and manhood! Haven't been stuck since and feel pity when seeing those 2 wheel drive trucks at the beach buried up to their axles.

See, you didn't need 4x4, both times someone I stuck you for free.
    I unstuck a couple of guys once, a Chevy z71 and a dodge 4x4, with a jeep wrangler in 2. Of course, I also had the 4 low in that jeep essentially save my life once and used it I. A couple of emergencies,

If I had a truck, if have a 4x4(or at least awd). But I don't do enough truck stuff to warrant one. If I had one, I'd change the oil every 3k, unless other wise instructed by the owners manual.

Seanpcola

Been threading through the eye of the needle today Slalomed the Cat 514 through a hangar, around about $300k in airplanes, through a vinyl door shorter than the Cat, past equipment and pallats, up into another hangar and retrieved pallats of aircraft parts, glass light fixtures and various delicate items, back down, backed out through slalom course and onto a trailer, no spotter, 7 times. No dents, scratches breakage or hurt feelings.

I'm going to drink a beer or 6 tonight. My nerves are shot.

Attachments

• 20150828_143327.jpg
      20150828_143327.jpg
      172.7 KB · Views: 155
    • 20150828_143354.jpg
      20150828_143354.jpg
      166.3 KB · Views: 160

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    And years ago I thought the motorized pallet jack I zoomed around in the back room of Walmart was pretty sporty. That thing puts me to shame.:redface:

Fletch

Master
    Speaking of slugged motors and oil changes who follows the old 3,000 mile rule these days? I use Mobile One Synthetic and go 10,000 between changes on my Tundra. Bobby Likis recommends 10,000 with Royal Purple. Some think it's nuts but that's the interval that Mercedes calls for with Mobile One Synthetic and I'm pretty sure their engineers are on top of things.

Seanpcola

And years ago I thought the motorized pallet jack I zoomed around in the back room of Walmart was pretty sporty. That thing puts me to shame.:redface:

Actually, you'd be surprised how nice this thing is to operate. Articulates a dozen different ways and the controls are the smoothest of just about any piece of equipment I've ever operated. You could change a baby's diaper with it and not wake it up.

You guys on here are trigger snobs, I'm a hydraulic snob. There's brands of equipment I love to operate and then there's ones I wouldn't use in a wide open field moving junk cars.

Seanpcola

Speaking of slugged motors and oil changes who follows the old 3,000 mile rule these days? I use Mobile One Synthetic and go 10,000 between changes on my Tundra. Bobby Likis recommends 10,000 with Royal Purple. Some think it's nuts but that's the interval that Mercedes calls for with Mobile One Synthetic and I'm pretty sure their engineers are on top of things.

I happen to have a friend that is a retired oil engineer and worked on synthetic mixes for decades. He always emphasizes that's what synthetic oil is for. The original intended purpose of synthetics is longer intervals and harsh working environments. One thing he told me is that with a good filter 3000 miles is kind of silly but 10K with synthetics is about the max. It's his opinion that it's not the contaminates as much as the microscopic amounts of water that does mix with the oil, boiling off and galling bearings and such. We both have been trying to talk my boss into not doing 3000 mile oil changes with synthetics but he does. Aviation habit.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    I try to do most of my own engine work and keep it within the Factory Service Manual Specs. Timing belt, water pump and cams done at 120K. I replaced almost every hose in the engine bay. Coil packs, spark plugs. Oil change with the synthetic brand at every 5k miles. My last oil change was 6-2014 and I'm only at 400 miles on that, but I suppose that I should change it sooner than later. Is old oil just as bad as used worn out oil???

Attachments

• 20150828_123354_resized.jpg
      20150828_123354_resized.jpg
      476.9 KB · Views: 148

Seanpcola

I was told by my engineer friend that age is as bad as miles. Water will condense in the crankcase and other areas, accumulate and then gall the bearings. He suggested down here in this area to change at least once a year even if you don't put the miles on it.

Fletch

Master
    I happen to have a friend that is a retired oil engineer and worked on synthetic mixes for decades. He always emphasizes that's what synthetic oil is for. The original intended purpose of synthetics is longer intervals and harsh working environments. One thing he told me is that with a good filter 3000 miles is kind of silly but 10K with synthetics is about the max. It's his opinion that it's not the contaminates as much as the microscopic amounts of water that does mix with the oil, boiling off and galling bearings and such. We both have been trying to talk my boss into not doing 3000 mile oil changes with synthetics but he does. Aviation habit.

Yeah 3000 with synthetic is just pouring money down the drain.....literally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom